* [9fans] wiki
@ 2004-01-25 14:09 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-01-25 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I backed up the top page to the morning before mr cranium
added his pointers.  I was wondering how long it would take
before someone did that.

I guess it's a victory of the Internet that the change was
made by a Moldovan IP address and pointed to a cyrillic
web page in a Samoan domain.

* Re: [9fans] wiki...
@ 2011-05-05 12:38               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-05-05 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I maintain anu.homelinux.net and werc.homelinux.net sites, mine
> robots.txt files are quite simple and I never ever facing these servers
> being chocked by any such bot.

i think it's a mistake to generalized from a sample size of
1 or 2 to the whole world.  give 'em a break.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] wiki...
@ 2011-05-05  9:54             ` Balwinder S Dheeman
From: Balwinder S Dheeman @ 2011-05-05  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 05/04/2011 09:09 PM, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:

> On 4 May 2011, at 11:40 am, Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:

>>> *facepalm* I wondered if this was the case; didn't think to check.
>>> Anyone have any idea why this is there?
>>
>> Very simple, since the webmaster have already allowed some bots and
>> disallowed everyone else ;)
>>
>> You need to read/analyze the whole robots.txt indeed.
>
> Now I've read it I can't understand why Google can't find anything under
> /wiki. Even if it did, that robots.txt isn't all that pleasant, blindly
> disallowing everyone who isn't google or msn, more or less. O.o

May be either the robots.txt is incorrect or Google and MSN/Bing are
interpreting it in wrong manner.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman
(http://werc.homelinux.net/contact/)

* Re: [9fans] wiki...
@ 2011-05-04 20:26               ` smiley
From: smiley @ 2011-05-04 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

dexen deVries <dexen.devries@gmail.com> writes:

> I believe we need an ``Allow: /'' below the long list of `Disallows' in the
> ``Disallow: /'' matches, and in effecet, every robot is cut off.

I rather like mine own robots.txt (http://www.icebubble.org/robots.txt).
As members of the "alternative OS" crowd, you may appreciate its design.

Incidentally, the wiki employs a very good anti-spam technology: edits
to it can only be made over 9P.  (The HTTP edit mechanism isn't
enabled.)  The wiki's lack of spidering also means it wouldn't be a very
valuable target even IF spambots could edit it over HTTP.

|E-Mail: smiley@zenzebra.mv.com             PGP key ID: BC549F8B|
|Fingerprint: 9329 DB4A 30F5 6EDA D2BA  3489 DAB7 555A BC54 9F8B|

* Re: [9fans] wiki...
@ 2011-05-04 16:11             ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2011-05-04 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wednesday 04 of May 2011 17:37:41 Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> On 4 May 2011, at 11:40 am, Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:

> >> *facepalm* I wondered if this was the case; didn't think to check.
> >> Anyone have any idea why this is there?
> >
> > Very simple, since the webmaster have already allowed some bots and
> > disallowed everyone else ;)
> >
> > You need to read/analyze the whole robots.txt indeed.
>
> Now I've read it I can't understand why Google can't find anything
> under /wiki. Even if it did, that robots.txt isn't all that pleasant,
> blindly disallowing everyone who isn't google or msn, more or less. O.o

I believe we need an ``Allow: /'' below the long list of `Disallows' in the
``Disallow: /'' matches, and in effecet, every robot is cut off.

Or, better, just let any robots crawl the site. Web isn't only about google
and msn anymore ;-)

(*cough* http://duckduckgo.com/ *cough*)

--
dexen deVries

[[[↓][→]]]

``In other news, STFU and hack.''
mahmud, in response to Erann Gat's ``How I lost my faith in Lisp''
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2308816

* Re: [9fans] wiki...
@ 2011-05-04 15:37           ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-05-04 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bsd, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2011-05-04 11:40         ` Balwinder S Dheeman
From: Balwinder S Dheeman @ 2011-05-04 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2011-04-26  6:30       ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-04-26  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2011-04-24 18:15   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2011-04-24 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Say, where is the canonical community bug
> tracker for Plan 9, anyway?

mailto://9trouble@plan9.bell-labs.com

* Re: [9fans] wiki...
@ 2011-04-24 10:16   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-04-24 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> When I try this, I am able to pull up the wiki pages.  But I only have
> about 60 seconds to get in, make my changes, and Put them.  If I take
> any longer than that, I get all sorts of "hangup" errors.  I have to
> close out the Wiki windows, 9fs and Wiki back in, and try again to make
> the changes faster.  Guess the fids go stale or something.  It'd be nice
> to know why the wiki drops out so quickly, though.

i can confirm this problem.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] wiki...
@ 2011-04-24 10:08     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-04-24 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > I had sources go down in the middle of contrib/install'ing tex.  Now
> > THAT was frustrating.  contrib(1) doesn't handle partially installed
> > packages very well at all.  Say, where is the canonical community bug
> > tracker for Plan 9, anyway?
>
> Contrib doesn't handle many unexpected things well, don't use it in
> 9vx if root is on the host filesystem.

don't blame replica for the fact that 9vx's default root is strange.
maybe you should blame 9vx.

> IIRC it's based on replica(1)
> which rather requires ideal circumstances for correct behaviour.

partial installs are easy to recover from.  i just used it friday to sort
out a file system that had a contrib package listed as installed, but it
hadn't been.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] wiki...
@ 2011-04-24  8:16     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2011-04-24  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2011-04-24  5:13   ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-04-24  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 24 Apr 2011, at 5:48 am, smiley@zenzebra.mv.com wrote:

> Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> On 11 Apr 2011, at 2:51 pm, David Leimbach wrote:
>>
>>> I posted some on the wiki about how I got the guruplug working for
>>> me...
>>
>> How do you find things on the wiki? I came across this today. My
>> first
>> thought was to look in the other_hardware page where I found  mention
>> of the Shevaplug and Guruplug but no links so I looked in the  news
>> page and only found a link to Nemo's home website... :)
>
> There's a wiki page index:
>
> http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Wiki_index

An index which is only linked from the front page.. well ok, it's a
lot better than no index.

> You can also:
>
> 9fs wiki && cd /mnt/wiki
>
> The wiki pages should all be listed in that directory, with spaces in
> their names converted to underscores.

This is what I would have done if sources hadn't gone down.

>> Google simply can't find the word "guruplug" anywhere on
>> www.plan9.bell-labs.com despite there being a clear link chain to a
>> wiki page which has it, so that's no use.
>
> Google can't find much at all regarding Plan 9.  (Well, not for any of
> the searches I've done.)  I don't think google has learned that we
> exist
> yet.  ;)
>
>> up some obsolete info too. Do I need an account to edit the wiki?  I
>
> Nope.  Anyone with srv(4) can mount it.  The standard way to edit
> it is
> via Acme.  'Local 9fs wiki' and then 'Wiki'.

Good to know.

> In theory.

:)

Incidentally, 9front exists in part because plan 9 theory differs
from practice too often. Unfortunately it's only a few weeks old and
has a grand total of 6 wiki pages, some of which are jokes.

> When I try this, I am able to pull up the wiki pages.  But I only have
> about 60 seconds to get in, make my changes, and Put them.  If I take
> any longer than that, I get all sorts of "hangup" errors.  I have to
> close out the Wiki windows, 9fs and Wiki back in, and try again to
> make
> the changes faster.  Guess the fids go stale or something.  It'd be
> nice
> to know why the wiki drops out so quickly, though.

If I only get 60 seconds I certainly will not be helping to fix up
the wiki!

> I had sources go down in the middle of contrib/install'ing tex.  Now
> THAT was frustrating.  contrib(1) doesn't handle partially installed
> packages very well at all.  Say, where is the canonical community bug
> tracker for Plan 9, anyway?

Contrib doesn't handle many unexpected things well, don't use it in
9vx if root is on the host filesystem. IIRC it's based on replica(1)
which rather requires ideal circumstances for correct behaviour.

* Re: [9fans] wiki...
@ 2011-04-24  4:48 ` smiley
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: smiley @ 2011-04-24  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2011-04-23  5:05 ` pmarin
From: pmarin @ 2011-04-23  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Guruplug/index.html
I spend 2 second to find it, but is true that the wiki have search issues.

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis
<eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2011, at 2:51 pm, David Leimbach wrote:
>
>> I posted some on the wiki about how I got the guruplug working for me...
>
> How do you find things on the wiki? I came across this today. My first
> thought was to look in the other_hardware page where I found mention of the
> Shevaplug and Guruplug but no links so I looked in the news page and only
> found a link to Nemo's home website... :)
>
> Google simply can't find the word "guruplug" anywhere on
> www.plan9.http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Guruplug/index.htmlbell-labs.com despite there being a clear link chain to a wiki
> page which has it, so that's no use.
>
> I guess I can mount and search the wiki, when it's up. I hope that works. :)
>
> If I can find the pages and edit the wiki I'd make links and maybe fix up
> some obsolete info too. Do I need an account to edit the wiki? I would check
> but sources went down in between my mounting it and cd-ing into it. That's
> the 2nd time that's happened in the last few weeks. I think the other time
> was when I tried to mount the wiki too.

* [9fans] wiki...
@ 2011-04-23  4:43 Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-04-23  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2004-06-08  5:40     ` vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2004-06-08  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi,

there must be something really wrong with wiki. i am not able to access
it. i have had this problem earlier also.

how come i am able to access other pages of plan9 site but not wiki pages?
what is different between wiki pages and others? i am behind a proxy
server. is that a problem?

i use wiki pages for quick reference. things become tough when i am not
able to access it.

any clues?

thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] wiki
@ 2004-06-08  3:28       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-06-08  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/1/index.html

looks fine to me.  The wiki is program-generated
so it's possible that a web proxy between you and
the server is not liking it.

Russ

* [9fans] Wiki..
@ 2001-02-02 14:49 Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-02-02 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am waiting for some somebody to add to `Using Acme' link. I know
that info is available in papers but have had no success with it. After
spending a week-end only thing I have been able to achieve is equivalent
of cd and text editing. Maybe someone with expertise can give pointers
with real examples?

- ishwar