* [9fans] troff and latin2, devpost
@ 2009-11-09 17:38 Pavel Klinkovsky
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Pavel Klinkovsky @ 2009-11-09 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am a newbie in the troff world.
Trying to make a document in Czech I discovered a strange font
problem.

Searching in 9fans archive I found this topic already present, but
without useful (at least for me) feedback-hint:
http://9fans.net/archive/2004/03/1548

Can anyone provide me a help?

Thanks in advance.

Pavel

* Re: [9fans] troff and latin2, devpost
@ 2009-11-09 22:14 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-11-09 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Trying to make a document in Czech

This might help (I have not done this myself)

http://9fans.net/archive/2001/12/171
http://9fans.net/archive/2001/12/173
http://9fans.net/archive/2001/12/174

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] troff and latin2, devpost
@ 2009-11-10  3:03 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-11-10  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Pavel Klinkovsky
<pavel.klinkovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a newbie in the troff world.
> Trying to make a document in Czech I discovered a strange font
> problem.

Problem #1 - letters missing on other systems:
Add |addpsfonts to your pipeline to create a PS with
the local fonts added.

Problem #2 - half Times-Roman, half Lucida Sans documents:
Since only the Lucida fonts have the characters you want,
the solution is to write the whole document in Lucida.
If you are using -ms macros, add

   .FP lucidasans

to the top of your document.  If you are not using -ms macros
you can use the equivalent but longer

    .fp 1 R LucidaSans
    .fp 2 I LucidaSansI
    .fp 3 B LucidaSansB
    .fp 5 CW LucidaCW

Russ

* Re: [9fans] troff and latin2, devpost
@ 2009-11-10 17:36 ` Pavel Klinkovsky
From: Pavel Klinkovsky @ 2009-11-10 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Since only the Lucida fonts have the characters you want,
> the solution is to write the whole document in Lucida.

Yes, since I did not find any other way how to solve it, I am using
Lucida.

On the other hand, Times-Roman is more pleasant to read (especially
longer documents)...

Thanks.

@ 2004-03-31  8:30 ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2004-03-31  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I ran `/sys/doc/cleanps foo.ps', which inserts the necessary fonts.

* [9fans] troff and latin2, devpost
@ 2004-03-31  8:16 John Stalker
From: John Stalker @ 2004-03-31  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings.

I am trying to prepare a document in Czech using troff.  My procedure
is the naive

	sam foo.ms
	troff -ms foo.ms | lp -dstdout >foo.ps

Looking at foo.ps shows that characters in the unicode range 00** are
specified as Times Roman while those in the range 01** are specified
as LucidaSans01.  Page dutifully displays them that way.  This looks
stupid, but page is just doing what it is told to do.  Displaying
foo.ps with gv on FreeBSD gives garbage, however.  Is there a good
way to produce postscript output with all the roman characters in
the same font which will render properly on any reasonable postscript
viewer?

One of the things I tried while struggling with the problem above is

	troff -ms -Tpost

I discovered that /lib/troff/fonts/devpost is missing.  Apologies if
I got the path wrong; I am not on a plan9 system right now.  dev202
is also missing, but I doubt it will be much missed.
--
John Stalker
Department of Mathematics