* [9fans] a quick comparison of qemu and xen
@ 2007-02-14  3:10 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-02-14  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

this is qemu without kqemu, since I have had problems with that.

build a kernel, for ppc (bg/l really)

qemu: 4 minutes

59.86u 53.93s 233.60r 	 mk

xen 3
4.90u 5.06s 15.89r 	 mk

This is the identical tree, I tar'ed it up from the qemu instance, put
it in the xen instance, and typed
mk clean && mk
in each one.

that's a ratio of roughly 15:1. Yes, surprised me too. I will try to
get a qemu with a working kqemu to do a more fair comparison.

ron

* Re: [9fans] a quick comparison of qemu and xen
@ 2007-02-14  4:24 ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2007-02-14  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] a quick comparison of qemu and xen
@ 2007-02-14  4:42   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-02-14  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2007-02-14 14:13       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-02-14 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/14/07, Paul Lalonde <plalonde@telus.net> wrote:

> Without kqemu, qemu uses dynamic translation/jit compilation to
> emulate the target architecture.

Right. So once you get a bit of jit compiled you're native.

>kqemu bypasses the jit engine and
> traps exceptions in the user code.  It does not use the hardware
> virtualization features, giving Xen the advantage there.

my measurements were on a box without hardware virtualization.

@ 2007-02-14 14:30         ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2007-02-14 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] a quick comparison of qemu and xen
@ 2007-02-14 14:34           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-02-14 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i wouldn't think so.

; size 8c 8l rc mk
228248t + 35040d + 35960b = 299248	8c
65004t + 17368d + 69540b = 151912	8l
82972t + 10436d + 13528b = 106936	rc
82781t + 8344d + 32412b = 123537	mk

what am i forgetting that's 15.5MB of code?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] a quick comparison of qemu and xen
@ 2007-02-14 16:34             ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2007-02-14 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs