* [9fans] p9p on win32?
@ 2006-03-14 11:32 Steve Simon
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-03-14 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

A Longterm project.

I would like to get p9p going on win32, I have no real need for /dev/draw,
I always rsh into win32, though I can see others would want it.

I assume the best compiler to use is mingw as knows about at least some plan9-isms

The big issue is I would also like to get a cpu server going.

Currently I use rsh which doesn't pass keyboard interrupt to the remote host.
I could run openssh under cygwin which would give that functionality and
on-the-wire encryption which is nice these days.

My favorite solution is to use the plan9 cpu protocol. This would allow
me to access files on the local plan9 system, pass interrupts (by reading
/mnt/term/dev/cpunote), and pass the win32 current directory back to plan9
(rc writes to /mnt/term/dev/wdir) so plumbed error messages will open the
correct file in sam/acme.

I would need a 9p client written against stdio, and a port of openssl to provide
the equivilent of pushssl(2), or alternatively if most of p9p is comming acrross
easily I could just use the plan9 code (except that ssl/tls is in the plan9 kernel).

Windows filesystem drivers seem to live in the kernel, which would make debugging them
tiresome, however I have found two frameworks for creating user space synthetic
filesystems on Win32, one creates a local cifs server [1] the other uses a proxy
device driver to allow a psudo filesystem to live in user space [2]. This still
leaves the problem of mounting/unmounting a filesystem on each cpu(1)
connect/disconnect.

Anyone any thoughts?

-Steve

A quick look at the code reveals both of these are pretty darn complex.
[1] http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix-nt99/full_papers/almeida/almeida.pdf
[2] http://research.microsoft.com/~galenh/Publications/HuntUsenixNt97.pdf

* Re: [9fans] p9p on win32?
@ 2006-03-14 12:43 ` Anselm R. Garbe
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Anselm R. Garbe @ 2006-03-14 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

dunno if it works, because I never tried (windows-free since
1998), but I guess that it might be possible to compile p9p
under cygwin.

I know that 9base at least compiled fine.

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 11:32:25AM +0000, Steve Simon wrote:
[...]
> I assume the best compiler to use is mingw as knows about at least some plan9-isms
[...]
> I would need a 9p client written against stdio, and a port of openssl to provide
> the equivilent of pushssl(2), or alternatively if most of p9p is comming acrross
> easily I could just use the plan9 code (except that ssl/tls is in the plan9 kernel).

You could use wmiir, it is a 9P command line client similiar to
9p, which is based on my libixp (MIT licensed, included in
wmii (http://wmii.de)).

Regards,

* Re: [9fans] p9p on win32?
@ 2006-03-14 12:48 ` fgergo
From: fgergo @ 2006-03-14 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/14/06, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:

> [1] http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix-nt99/full_papers/almeida/almeida.pdf

I tried to build this a few month ago, but could not find some vital
files as referred to in the README:
"The distribution does not include the Microsoft SMB header files I
used in the project."
Tried to contact the author, but I don't think he received my email.

* Re: [9fans] p9p on win32?
@ 2006-03-14 13:02   ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2006-03-14 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> You could use wmiir, it is a 9P command line client similiar to
> 9p, which is based on my libixp (MIT licensed, included in
> wmii (http://wmii.de)).

Just curious, does wmiir do auth?

(I've started to translate newsham's python 9p to tcl -
 so far focussing on client - but so far stayed away from
 the auth stuff - no clue  yet how easy it would/will be
 to do that in (pure) tcl)

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] p9p on win32?
@ 2006-03-14 13:04 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-03-14 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I assume the best compiler to use is mingw as knows about at least some plan9-isms

Doesn't matter.  There are no Plan 9 isms in the p9p
code base.  At least not supposed to be.

> The big issue is I would also like to get a cpu server going.

That's harder than it sounds.

> Currently I use rsh which doesn't pass keyboard interrupt to the remote host.
> I could run openssh under cygwin which would give that functionality and
> on-the-wire encryption which is nice these days.

I would do this for the short term.  Installing cygwin is
super-easy.

> My favorite solution is to use the plan9 cpu protocol. This would allow
> me to access files on the local plan9 system, pass interrupts (by reading
> /mnt/term/dev/cpunote), and pass the win32 current directory back to plan9
> (rc writes to /mnt/term/dev/wdir) so plumbed error messages will open the
> correct file in sam/acme.

If you use the cygwin ssh and set your profile to emit
xterm window change codes every time you switch
directories, you can use "ssh windows | aux/conswdir"
on the Plan 9 side.  See rwd(1).

> I would need a 9p client written against stdio, and a port of openssl to provide
> the equivilent of pushssl(2), or alternatively if most of p9p is comming acrross
> easily I could just use the plan9 code (except that ssl/tls is in the plan9 kernel).

Actually I've pulled out a standalone ssl that you can
invoke on a pipe.  The main part left for cpu to Plan 9
is writing the /dev/draw file server.

> Windows filesystem drivers seem to live in the kernel, which would make debugging them
> tiresome, however I have found two frameworks for creating user space synthetic
> filesystems on Win32, one creates a local cifs server [1] the other uses a proxy
> device driver to allow a psudo filesystem to live in user space [2]. This still
> leaves the problem of mounting/unmounting a filesystem on each cpu(1)
> connect/disconnect.

p9p doesn't do kernel mounts, so this isn't an issue.
If someone wants to explore kernel 9P mounts later,
that's a separate issue.  I strongly suggest doing a
first cut without them.  Especially since you don't have
per-process name spaces.

You do need some equivalent to Unix domain sockets
for posting services.  I think you should be able to use
a service-posting program and then find it by name
and use IPC to talk to it.  Kind of a user-level /srv.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] p9p on win32?
@ 2006-03-14 13:15     ` Anselm R. Garbe
From: Anselm R. Garbe @ 2006-03-14 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 02:02:38PM +0100, Axel Belinfante wrote:
> > You could use wmiir, it is a 9P command line client similiar to
> > 9p, which is based on my libixp (MIT licensed, included in
> > wmii (http://wmii.de)).
>
> Just curious, does wmiir do auth?
>
> (I've started to translate newsham's python 9p to tcl -
>  so far focussing on client - but so far stayed away from
>  the auth stuff - no clue  yet how easy it would/will be
>  to do that in (pure) tcl)

No, it does not.

Sorry,

* Re: [9fans] p9p on win32?
@ 2006-03-14 13:22       ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2006-03-14 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > > You could use wmiir, it is a 9P command line client similiar to
> > > 9p, which is based on my libixp (MIT licensed, included in
> > > wmii (http://wmii.de)).
> >
> > Just curious, does wmiir do auth?
> >
> > (I've started to translate newsham's python 9p to tcl -
> >  so far focussing on client - but so far stayed away from
> >  the auth stuff - no clue  yet how easy it would/will be
> >  to do that in (pure) tcl)
>
> No, it does not.
>
> Sorry,

No reason to say sorry, I'd say.
I suppose you use wmiir in the same way as I intend to
use the tcl 9p stuff: to 'connect' pieces of a distributed
program (or 'solution'), not (nessarily) to connect to
a 'real' file server.

Anyway, apologies for 'hijacking' this thread,
Axel.

* Re: [9fans] p9p on win32?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-03-14 13:43 ` John Stalker
From: John Stalker @ 2006-03-14 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Hi,
>
> A Longterm project.
>
> I would like to get p9p going on win32, I have no real need for /dev/draw,
> I always rsh into win32, though I can see others would want it.
>
> Anyone any thoughts?
>
> -Steve

Cygwin was mentioned.  I recently installed uwin on my Windows machine.
I have little experience of either, but suspect the latter might be a
better base for p9p.
--
John Stalker
University of Dublin, Trinity College

* Re: [9fans] p9p on win32?
@ 2006-03-14 14:15   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-03-14 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

some plan9 content...

> "The distribution does not include the Microsoft SMB header files I
> used in the project."
This appears to have been re-invented outside Microsoft:

	http://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/ntifs.h

I also came accross another windows synthetic file system framework
based on ftp:

	http://www.osronline.com/showThread.cfm?link=20086

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] p9p on win32?
@ 2006-03-17 14:15   ` Derek Fawcus
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2006-03-17 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 08:04:29AM -0500, Russ Cox wrote:

> Installing cygwin is super-easy.

I wonder just how capable SFU 3.5 is?

> You do need some equivalent to Unix domain sockets
> for posting services.

Well the SFU web site claims it supports sockets,  but
is that only for AF_INET,  or for AF_UNIX as well?

DF

* Re: [9fans] p9p on win32?
@ 2006-03-17 18:48     ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-03-17 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

SFU is pretty much a base install of OpenBSD. I've had very good experiences
with building unix software on
top of it. I believe that both AF_INET & AF_UNIX are supported.

--
Nietzsche's first step is to accept what he knows. Atheism for him goes
without saying and is "contructive and

* Re: [9fans] p9p on win32?
@ 2006-03-29  6:46   ` Martin C. Atkins
From: Martin C. Atkins @ 2006-03-29  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,
Sorry for the delay, I only just saw this thread.

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:04:29 -0500 "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
>..
> I would do this for the short term.  Installing cygwin is
> super-easy.

Indeed. How difficult would it be to port p9p to Win32/cygwin, but using the Unix
/dev/draw code, and displaying on the cygwin X server?

Surely this would be easier than getting /dev/draw working with windows graphics?
And given cygwin/X's options for sharing the screen with Windows applications,
might integrate passably well too.

What am I missing?

Martin
--
Martin C. Atkins			martin_ml@parvat.com
Parvat Infotech Private Limited		http://www.parvat.com{/,/martin}

* Re: [9fans] p9p on win32?
@ 2006-03-29  8:44     ` quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-03-29  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

give it a rip.  it has a good chance of working without changing anything.

- erik