* Re: [9fans] VirtualBox and Plan9
@ 2009-04-22  5:30 ` Eris Discordia
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eris Discordia @ 2009-04-22  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have tried to boot a number of Plan 9 4e ISOs on a number of VirtualBox
releases (even from before Sun acquired it). Just won't work. It will take
someone who knows Plan 9 very well to debug it and find out exactly why it
doesn't.

A problem with Virtual PC was recently solved, I remember, by patching the
kernel. Nobody said if the patch did work or not probably because applying
it and recompiling the kernel was too complicated a task for a novice. And
that was with the ISO properly booting and a complete installation on the
(virtual) disk. If the ISO doesn't boot and the installation system never
begins I assume one will have to create a new ISO with the patched kernel
as well--not something I can dream of doing.

--On Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:50 PM -0600 Ramon de Vera
<ramondevera@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else tried grabbing the latest Plan9 ISO (from the website)
> and installing it via VirtualBox v2.2 ? I got only as far as:
>
> kfs...<caret>
>
> And the whole thing just stalled and hung at that point, so I am
> hoping that someone can point me to the wrong vbox  settings that I am
> using.
>
> I am trying this from a Vista box. Please don't say go to a different
> OS and try again. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Mon

* [9fans] VirtualBox and Plan9
@ 2009-04-22  5:50 Ramon de Vera
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Ramon de Vera @ 2009-04-22  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-04-22  6:12 ` Preston Mays
       [not found] ` <AEF7D6DDF7CD011850DD2A0A@192.168.1.2>
From: Preston Mays @ 2009-04-22  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've had similar problems on OS X, so I think it's a problem with
VirtualBox, not Vista. I got past initial configuration and
installation, but the system consistently froze when I tried to
compile a new kernel. I switched to QEMU and haven't had any issues
since.

Aside from switching emulators, all I can suggest is to experiment
with different host options and disable any hardware that's not
absolutely necessary during installation.

~Preston

@ 2009-04-22  6:41   ` Ramon de Vera
From: Ramon de Vera @ 2009-04-22  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks Preston, Thanks Eris,

I'll take the qemu approach then. I'd rather not start
patching/recompiling plan 9 kernels just yet. :-)

Thanks again,
Mon

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Eris Discordia
<eris.discordia@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have tried to boot a number of Plan 9 4e ISOs on a number of VirtualBox
> releases (even from before Sun acquired it). Just won't work. It will take
> someone who knows Plan 9 very well to debug it and find out exactly why it
> doesn't.
>
> A problem with Virtual PC was recently solved, I remember, by patching the
> kernel. Nobody said if the patch did work or not probably because applying
> it and recompiling the kernel was too complicated a task for a novice. And
> that was with the ISO properly booting and a complete installation on the
> (virtual) disk. If the ISO doesn't boot and the installation system never
> begins I assume one will have to create a new ISO with the patched kernel as
> well--not something I can dream of doing.
>
> --On Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:50 PM -0600 Ramon de Vera
> <ramondevera@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else tried grabbing the latest Plan9 ISO (from the website)
>> and installing it via VirtualBox v2.2 ? I got only as far as:
>>
>> kfs...<caret>
>>
>> And the whole thing just stalled and hung at that point, so I am
>> hoping that someone can point me to the wrong vbox  settings that I am
>> using.
>>
>> I am trying this from a Vista box. Please don't say go to a different
>> OS and try again. :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mon

* Re: [9fans] VirtualBox and Plan9
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <AEF7D6DDF7CD011850DD2A0A@192.168.1.2>
@ 2009-04-22  6:56 ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-04-22  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I am trying this from a Vista box. Please don't say go to a different
> OS and try again. :-)

I have a cpu server inside vmware on vista here, qemu is too slow and
I've found vmware to be best.

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] VirtualBox and Plan9
@ 2009-04-22  7:03   ` Gabriel Díaz López de la Llave
From: Gabriel Díaz López de la Llave @ 2009-04-22  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

9grid.es is also a vmware server and works quite well (with one
virtual processor only, using two of them, vmware consumes all the cpu
available outside the virtual machine)

slds.

gabi

@ 2009-04-22  7:03   ` Ramon de Vera
From: Ramon de Vera @ 2009-04-22  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Cool, I'll 'talk' to you off list Federico.

Regards,
Mon

@ 2009-04-22 14:34     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-04-22 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)