From: andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] more plan 9 developers & users [was (no subject)]
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:38:46 -0600	[thread overview]

I wholeheartedly agree with Geoff's observations! Just let me add my 2¢:

> - add a new machine: add one entry to /lib/ndb/local or your local
> equivalent, plug the machine into a switch, insert a boot floppy if
> it's a PC, turn it on;

my biggest success in showcasing Plan 9 so far has been with an 8-way
proliant machine that i turned onto a node on our network with a
single floppy.  somehow everybody was under the impression that plan 9
is not a mature OS. they've all assumed that simply because it lacks
X, mplayer, a browser and a bloated GUI it wouldn't have things like
SMP.

'try doing that with globus' i said at the time; 'it's all nice, but nobody uses
plan9' was the response.

somehow traditional "systems" stuff like working out how to support
non-trivial hardware in an elegant manner has been put aside and eye
candy has come into focus.  i'm sure people would be much more
interested in p9 if it could render OpenGL on 18 screens concurrently
faster (and cheaper) than anyone else :)

andrey

ps: Geoff, do you mind if i put your post in the wiki?