From: sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9fans@sirjofri.de>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] building a grid at university
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 15:09:10 +0200 (GMT+02:00)	[thread overview]

30.09.2022 12:42:53 Glenn Holmer via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>:

> This has always seemed miraculous to me. Can you give an example of the commands?

On 9front:

rimport myserver /net

Communication basically always goes through the network interface present in /net (or /net.alt, depending on the software and configuration), so all network listeners you run after importing the /net of the server will just start listening on the network interface of the server. That's the power of namespaces for you.

Iirc with listen(8) you can set which network directory you want to listen on, so you can (for example) import the server /net to your local /net.alt and then start listening on /net.alt.

Btw this is also the easiest way to make a VPN-like bridge: import /net of the server, then start webfs for browsing, then all traffic this webfs process produces will be tunneled through the (tls-encrypted) 9p connection to the server.

sirjofri