From: andrey mirtchovski <andrey@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] IRQs again...
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 08:22:08 -0600	[thread overview]

Yes, plan9 boots fine (LinuxBios is on a separate disk on chip, that
we can substitute with the original BIOS anytime we want.  That's
where we get things like conf.npage0, conf.npage1, etc, which P9 does
not calculate correctly if there's no BIOS)...

As it currently stands, on two different types of southbridges (cyrix
and ALI) irregardless of how configured (or misconfigured) the IRQs
end up, we're unable to get an interrupt at all...

Next step is comparing 8259's registers with the ones from a normally
booted p9.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2310 bytes --]

From: jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 00:23:18 -0400

On Fri May 24 22:27:23 EDT 2002, rminnich@lanl.gov wrote:
> sooner or later, with hot plug happening, the OSes will have to play this
> fun game. LinuxBIOS got us there early in this case. But I think doing
> interrupt allocation and setup in the OS is inevitable.

We've been there and done that, both running the Plan 9 code base
on hot-plug systems and using a Plan 9 kernel as the boot ROM (is it
really almost 10 years ago?).

Before you flashed LinuxBIOS on the motherboard, is it likely Plan 9
would have booted?