* [9fans] sheeva
@ 2010-09-25 16:47 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-09-25 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just playing with the plug again ...

Anyone using sd yet? usb disk?

I'm getting errors on each one .. probably pilot error.

ron

* Re: [9fans] sheeva
@ 2010-09-25 20:32 ` fgergo
From: fgergo @ 2010-09-25 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You are probably interested in plan9 related issues, but you might be
interested in this as well: if you run cpu intensive stuff, the plug
will get hot. My plug practically killed 1 sd card and almost fried
another one as well. I have found several complaints on this issue.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 6:47 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just playing with the plug again ...
>
> Anyone using sd yet? usb disk?
>
> I'm getting errors on each one .. probably pilot error.
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] sheeva
@ 2010-09-25 21:39   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-09-25 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 1:32 PM,  <fgergo@gmail.com> wrote:
> You are probably interested in plan9 related issues, but you might be
> interested in this as well: if you run cpu intensive stuff, the plug
> will get hot. My plug practically killed 1 sd card and almost fried
> another one as well. I have found several complaints on this issue.

sounds like going external usb is better.

ron

* Re: [9fans] sheeva
@ 2010-09-26  0:20     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-09-26  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 1:32 PM,  <fgergo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You are probably interested in plan9 related issues, but you might be
> > interested in this as well: if you run cpu intensive stuff, the plug
> > will get hot. My plug practically killed 1 sd card and almost fried
> > another one as well. I have found several complaints on this issue.
>

> sounds like going external usb is better.
>
> ron
>
> There's more than one version of the plug, and I've heard keeping the
guruplug at full tilt network wise will cause a heat issue if you have the
dual Gig-E nics version.

I don't do anything too intense on my guru plug at the moment, and it seems
to run just fine.

I've not done much with the USB on it, but I was pleasantly surprised that
the JTAG serial doodad worked with Plan 9 to connect to the plug when I
couldn't get Mac OS X to use it :-)

Dave

* Re: [9fans] sheeva
@ 2010-09-26  1:45       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-09-26  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

can somebody post a boot serial console log with a working sd plugged
in? I'd like to see what I'm missing. I don't see the sd being
detected.

ron

* Re: [9fans] sheeva
@ 2010-09-26  1:55         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-09-26  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

my sheeva says this:

192.168.2.3# cat ctl
enabled control rw speed high maxpkt 64 pollival 0 samplesz 0 hz 0 hub
1 port 1 busy
storage csp 0x500608 vid 0x1307 did 0x0163 'USB 2.0' 'Flash Disk' ehci
192.168.2.3# pwd
#u/usb/ep2.0
192.168.2.3#

(here is usb probe)

192.168.2.3# usb/probe
ep1.0 roothub csp 0x000009 ports 1 ehci
ep2.0 storage csp 0x500608 vid 0x1307 did 0x0163 'USB 2.0' 'Flash Disk' ehci
192.168.2.3#

Also, why do I see:
../ctl
../ep1.0
../ep2.0
../ep2.1
../ep2.2

What are the two extra endpoints?
192.168.2.3# cat ../ctl
ep1.0 enabled control rw speed high maxpkt 64 pollival 0 samplesz 0 hz
0 hub 0 port 0 busy
roothub csp 0x000009 ports 1 ehci
ep2.0 enabled control rw speed high maxpkt 64 pollival 0 samplesz 0 hz
0 hub 1 port 1 busy
storage csp 0x500608 vid 0x1307 did 0x0163 'USB 2.0' 'Flash Disk' ehci
ep2.2 enabled bulk r speed high maxpkt 512 pollival 1 samplesz 0 hz 0
hub 1 port 1 busy
ep2.1 enabled bulk w speed high maxpkt 512 pollival 1 samplesz 0 hz 0
hub 1 port 1 busy

the manual says EHCI usb 2.0 are not supported; does this mean that I
can't use the above flash or is the manual out of date? Also my manual
shows U but /dev/drivers say u ... manual bug?

ron

* Re: [9fans] sheeva
@ 2010-09-26  3:36           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-09-26  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the manual says EHCI usb 2.0 are not supported; does this mean that I
> can't use the above flash or is the manual out of date? Also my manual
> shows U but /dev/drivers say u ... manual bug?

manually buggy.  :-)  the old usb driver was #U, the new #u.
fortunately the difference is only 0x20.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] sheeva
@ 2010-09-26  3:39         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-09-26  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Sep 25 21:46:53 EDT 2010, rminnich@gmail.com wrote:
> can somebody post a boot serial console log with a working sd plugged
> in? I'd like to see what I'm missing. I don't see the sd being
> detected.

that's cause there's no sd driver for the onboard
sata or sd card.  it's on my short list.

the usb/disk is not a sd driver, but i think it could be if
usbd set things up and handed a generic sd scsi or ata
driver a channel to the usb device.

- erik