* [9fans] Acme: indicator of running process
@ 2013-03-05 14:27 dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2013-03-05 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hi list,

a long running process (e.g. `git submodule update') does not give any
indication as to whether it is running or dead already, save for some progress
messages, if any. i would like a clear indicator in Acme's $cwd+Error window
the process outputs to.

i guess the state of the /dev/stdout of Acme's child process whould be a good
indicator for most cases. is there any handy hack to indicate whether the
/dev/stdout is open in any particular Acme window? or any other indicator
whether a process is still working or dead?

yes, i know names of processes are displayed in top Tag line, but in my cases,
usually several gits are ran along (git gui, git submodule, etc.etc.)

using p9p Acme.

cheers,
--
dexen deVries

[[[↓][→]]]

* [9fans]  Git (Was: Acme: indicator of running process)
@ 2013-03-05 14:49 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-03-05 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> (e.g. `git submodule update')

You got git running under Plan 9?  I can't even get it pkg-installed
on NetBSD, because somewhere in the long chain of dependencies it
requires /usr/X11R7 to be present!

++L

* Re: [9fans] Git (Was: Acme: indicator of running process)
@ 2013-03-05 14:58   ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-03-05 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 04:49:58PM +0200, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > (e.g. `git submodule update')
>
> You got git running under Plan 9?  I can't even get it pkg-installed
> on NetBSD, because somewhere in the long chain of dependencies it
> requires /usr/X11R7 to be present!

He was asking about plan9port.

* Re: [9fans] Git (Was: Acme: indicator of running process)
@ 2013-03-05 15:01     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-03-05 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> He was asking about plan9port.

I don't have a problem with that, myself, but I thought there was a
separate mailing list for plan9port?  That's what prompted me to ask,
there was no explicit mention of p9p in Devon's message.

@ 2013-03-05 15:04       ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-03-05 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2013-03-05 15:07       ` Bence Fábián
From: Bence Fábián @ 2013-03-05 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The last sentence was

"using p9p Acme."

This is a p9p on Mac OS X mailing list.

@ 2013-03-05 15:12         ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-03-05 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 05:01:41PM +0200, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
>> > He was asking about plan9port.
>>
>> I don't have a problem with that, myself, but I thought there was a
>> separate mailing list for plan9port?  That's what prompted me to ask,
>> there was no explicit mention of p9p in Devon's message.
>
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 03:27:02PM +0100, dexen deVries wrote:
>>
>> using p9p Acme.

Oh dear, I do apologise.  I'll read messages more carefully in future. :-(

@ 2013-03-05 15:13         ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-03-05 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> This is a p9p on Mac OS X mailing list.

Nothing wrong there, the real Plan 9 has long stopped standing up!

@ 2013-03-05 15:19   ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2013-03-05 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tuesday 05 of March 2013 16:49:58 lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > (e.g. `git submodule update')
>
> You got git running under Plan 9?

sorry, no.

IMHO it would make more sense to implement git-like toolkit, protocol- and
fast-export/fast-import compatible with git, using Venti as storage backend.

would heavy use of git-rebase fill up the Venti storage too quickly?

* * *

is it too much noise to ask about p9p Acme on this mailing list?

--
dexen deVries

[[[↓][→]]]

* Re: [9fans] Git (Was: Acme: indicator of running process)
@ 2013-03-05 20:39     ` Yaroslav
From: Yaroslav @ 2013-03-05 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> is it too much noise to ask about p9p Acme on this mailing list?

Should be ok for anything with a "9" in its name

* Re: [9fans] Git (Was: Acme: indicator of running process)
@ 2013-03-05 20:55       ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2013-03-05 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 22:39:06 +0200 Yaroslav <yarikos@gmail.com> wrote:
> > is it too much noise to ask about p9p Acme on this mailing list?
>
> Should be ok for anything with a "9" in its name

So is anyone brave enough to port 9it?