From: "Tom Lieber" <alltom@gmail.com>
To: wendellxe@yahoo.com,
	"Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Acme without Flamage
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:38:01 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Wendell xe <wendellxe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Acme is often compared to vi/emacs as a power-user's tool with a different operating paradigm. It is, but I think people wrongly point to the keyboard/mouse issue as the basic difference. The real difference is that vi/emacs are all about configurability but Acme focuses on integration with the system while not being configurable at all (unless you count hacking the source).
> Finally, I'm kind of surprised at the lack of interest in controlling fonts. My usual coding font is 12 pt. Dina or Terminus. But if my eyes are really tired, I might switch to 16 pt. Monaco. On the other hand, I sometimes use 8 pt. ProFont to better get an overview. I would think even Plan 9 hackers would appreciate being able to quickly shift around like that.

I think the "configuration" of acme is mostly in the realm of making
better and better scripts to keep in your tags, or utility buffers. I
believe most people who use acme set up their tags and open files with
links to their favorite scripts then dump the editor state, then use
that dump file every time they start acme. That is how acme is
configured.

Several of the responses to your original e-mail were to "write a
script to do it," mainly because executing text filters is the only
command primitive acme seems to have besides opening files.

Just like the easiest way to "implement" bookmarks was to create a
file with right-clickable bookmarks in it, the easiest way to switch
between fonts is probably to create a file with middle-clickable font
change commands.

After reading this thread I tried keeping an "Edit =" in my tag for
creating bookmarks to parts of a really long file I'm editing as I
went. It worked pretty well. It's so flexible -- everything is just
text.

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/