From: <vdharani@infernopark.com>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Cc: <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Subject: Re: [9fans] iTuner
Date: Tue,  2 Mar 2004 02:08:02 -0500	[thread overview]

hi,

>> Had a look at the iTuner - is it really $400? Thats expensive for a
>> mini ITX these days (or am I being Naive?).
>
> naive.
>
> Yeah the mini itx is cheap. Wrap it up in reasonable sheet metal, with
> that expenso 12V adapter supply, and add in the other junk, and ca.
> $400  is about what you'll pay from anyone. It's on the low end. Check
> out those  oh-so-fancy british boxes with no fan and brushed metal --
> $1200.

i decided to spend some money and build a system consisting of a couple of
small machines and try some grid stuff. given that my budget is not too
high (about $500 at best), i was thinking of linksys (wrt54g) or ituner
box. though i like wrt54g, i am hesitating because a) i am not sure how
easy it is to put inferno in it b) i am not sure if i can turn off the
wifi part c) i cant do plan9 grid. now, i am leaning towards ituner stuff
because, hopefully, i can try both plan9 grid and inferno grid.

the board i prefer should be CPU/>=64MB/ethernet/VGA(?). i am thinking of
2+boards. how much would it cost with and without the box?

and how easy or how tough is it to get the first kernel loaded? i think
once i build and load the kernel, i can proceed from there. if someone can
help me, please let me know. once i know the parts, i can order them.

i like the ones i see in 9grid page and i will be happy if i can do a
similar setup to play with.

btw, wouldnt it be nice if 9fans (of similar interest) stick one model
like ituner box? that way, we could have better device support eventually.

any help appreciated.

thanks
dharani