* [9fans] Creating new documents on KFS, Fossil, and Venti implementation and etc...
@ 2004-09-26  7:07 Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2004-09-26  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

1.  Does Fossil replace kfs on all Plan 9 computers? Or should Fossil
be used only on file servers, while terminals and cpu servers use kfs?
I find myself asking this question after reading the wiki docs and
reading 9fans.

2.  I know many of the Plan 9 papers are clearly outdated. For
instance,  the Plan 9 from Bell Labs paper
(http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/9.html) doesn't mention Fossil and
Venti, nor how the items are incorporated into the scheme of things. I
can imply their usage, but I don't like to assume.  Also, I've noticed
that a few of the ideas have apparently been deprecated (e.g., the IL
protocol) since the Plan 9 from Bell Labs paper was originally
written.

I'm curious to see if anyone is working on updating any of the Plan 9
papers or are in the process of creating a new work. If not, I'd like
to heavily revise the papers to reflect the current situation vice a
document about Plan 9 one or two editions ago. Since the original
authors of the papers are greatly respected and admired, I imagine
revising their work might not sit well with some folks.

Would anyone be interested in creating a Plan 9 documentation group? I
know several folks have been doing little by little on the side and I
applaud their efforts. But is anyone interested in starting a
documentation project? This might lead to greater colaboration and
lead to economy of effort. Let the programmers write code and the rest
of us write or update the docs.   Comments?

Sincerely,
Vester "Vic" Thacker