From: Vester Thacker <vester.thacker@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] Plan 9 Wiki and translations.
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:43:18 +0900	[thread overview]

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 10:35:05AM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:

> What's to say that's not going to happen again?

I think it will succeed because I am not the only one
committed to the idea, and better documents exist outside the wiki.

> Maintaining multiple consistent copies of anything is hard.
> If time is going to be spent on the wiki, why not make the
> English documents better?  (It would be different if the
> rest of the system and its man pages and papers were already
> available in many languages.)

Maintaining multiple consistent copies might never
happen, but that is not to say the sharing of ideas and
understanding will be diminished.

Some of the best Plan 9 notes and HOWTOs are written in
Japanese (i.e., pages at http.aichi-u.ac.jp,
http://plan9.wakhok.ac.jp, and specifically
http://plan9.ipng.wakhok.ac.jp/doc/hp/install.html)

I would like to see the various works around the globe
consolidated in one place. I think consolidating the
documents to one site will give us a better understanding of the job
at hand. For instance, I was writing an improved Plan 9 installation
guide, but recently I've found that someone has completed the work.
Now, I can focus my efforts on extending the work rather than starting
from scratch.  And if I wanted to translate the document into English,
then I can use the graphic images from the Japanese document rather
than to create my own.

--vester