From: Vester Thacker <vester.thacker@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] A short PPPOE configuration guide
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:25:01 +0900	[thread overview]

On 8/29/05, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> Put yourself in group sys instead.

Good idea. I didn't think of that right off hand.

> There's no need to do this unless the NIC isn't
> recognized.  ls '#l' (that's an ell after the sharp)
> and if you see a directory named ether0 you're
> already all set.  Alternately grep ether /dev/kmesg.
> In particular, an i82557 should always be recognized.
> Only old ISA cards need these lines anymore.
<cut>
> These entries are only necessary if you don't like the DNS
> servers that the remote PPP server is suggesting or if you
> have other things on the network besides the PPP modem
> (unlikely).  In the common case, you just run ip/pppoe -P
> and that sets up /net/ndb with the info from the remote
> PPP server.

In my case, I received an interface not found (or defined) error when
starting ip/pppoe. Once I defined the i82557 NIC as ether0 in
plan9.ini, I observed that pppoe recognized the NIC.  I have 2 NICs in
this machine, so perhaps defining the interface fixed the problem.

Unfortunately, for me the -dP option only works partially for me.
Before and after running ndb/dns -r, I could not resolve names with
ndb/dnsquery; so I defined a ipnet entry with dns comment and
subsequently an additional ip entry in /lib/ndb/local. :-(

Also, running echo refresh > /net/dns produced the following error:
/net/dns: rc: can't open: mounted directory forbids creation
But I suspect adding my user to the sys group as you mentioned might
alleviate this problem.

Russ, thank you very much for your insight and time.  I'm looking
forward to getting this right.

--vester