From: "Federico Benavento" <benavento@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Problems setting up a cpu/auth/file server
Date: Wed,  9 May 2007 06:54:30 +0200	[thread overview]

On 5/9/07, Kim Shrier <kim@tinker.com> wrote:
> I am having a few problems getting this going.  I have a PC that I
> have just installed Plan 9 on using a CD image I downloaded on May
> 5th.  Since I want to connect to it from my Mac using drawterm, I
> assume that I need to boot the Plan 9 box as a cpu/auth/file server.

not necessarly, you can drawterm to your terminal
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Drawterm_to_your_terminal/

> Following the instructions on
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/
> Configuring_a_Standalone_CPU_Server/index.html
> is not working too well for me.

the wiki is fine, you missed something, people always miss some
step.

> Here are the steps I have gone through.  I have booted the system
> and logged in as kim.  When i created user kim, I added myself to
> the sys group.
>
>      term% cd /rc/bin
>      term% ed cpurc
>
> The contents on cpurc don't seem to aggree 100% with the instructions,
> but I think I figured out what needed to be done.
>
>      term% con /srv/fscons
>      prompt: uname bootes bootes
>      prompt: fsys main
>      main: create /active/cron/bootes bootes bootes d775
>      main: create /active/sys/log/cron bootes bootes a664
>      main: ctl-\>>> q

bootes should be in sys not kim... see below

> The instructions don't say anything about ctl-\ and q but I assume
> that that is the correct thing to type.
>
>      term% auth/keyfs
>      bad nvram key
>      bad authentication id
>      bad authentication domain
>      can't read /dev/key, please enter machine key
>      Password: alongpassword
>      Confirm password: alongpassword
>
>      term% cd /lib/ndb
>      term% ed auth
>
> I add the lines:
>      hostid=bootes
>              uid=!sys uid=!adm uid=*
>
> At this point, the instructions tell you to copy 9pccpuf to /n/fat
> but there is no 9pccpuf.  I read the instructions on building a
> kernel.  I reboot the system and log in as user sys.
>
>      % cd /sys/src/9/pc
>      % mk 'CONF=pccpuf'
>      /tmp/mkarg000095: '/tmp/mkarg000095' permission denied
>
> We can't create the tmp file because /tmp is owned by sys:sys and
> the permissions are 555.  What is the point of having a tmp
> directory that nobody can write to?
>
>      % chmod 755 /tmp

you didn't run /sys/lib/newuser like the adding a new user wiki says,
that script creates a standard env for the new user when he/she
starts the system , like binding /usr/$user/tmp to /tmp, so /tmp
is replaced by the user's tmp dir.

>      % mk 'CONF=pccpuf'
>
> Looks like everything worked.  I reboot and log in as kim.
>
>      term% 9fat:
>      term% cp /sys/src/9/pc/9pccpuf /n/9fat/
>      term% cd /n/9fat
>      term% ed plan9.ini
>      term% echo blahblahblah >/dev/sdC0/nvram
>
> I make the changes in the instructions including the startup menu
> so I can choose the kernel to boot. I then reboot and choose the
> 9pccpuf kernel.
>
>      root is from (tcp, il, local)[local!#S/sdC0/fossil]: hit enter
>      bad nvram key
>      bad authentication id
>      bad authentication domain
>      authid: bootes
>      authdom: tinker.com
>      secstore key: someotherlongpassword
>      password: adifferentpassword
>      time...
>      venti...fossil(#S/sdC0/fossil)...version...time...
>      mv: can't create /rc/bin/service.auth/il566: '/rc/bin/
> service.auth/il566' permission denied
>      mv: can't create /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567: '/rc/bin/
> service.auth/tcp567' permission denied
>      mv: can't stat /rc/bin/service/il566: '/rc/bin/service/il566'
> does not exist
>      mv: can't stat /rc/bin/service/tcp567: '/rc/bin/service/tcp567'
> does not exist

that's why there is a if() in the standard cpurc, so you don't get
that error

>      init: starting /bin/rc
>      vh#
>
> I look at the permissions for /rc/bin/service.auth.  It is also
> owned by sys:sys and the permissions are 755.  I assume I am
> running as bootes.
>
>      vh# who
>      bootes
>      none
>
> Since bootes is not allowed to assume the uid of sys and the
> service.auth directory is owned by sys, how is cpurc supposed
> to be able to copy il566 and tcp567 into it?

bootes should be in sys, not kim

> Continuing on...
>
>      vh# auth/changeuser bootes
>      Password: adifferentpassword
>      Confirm password: adifferentpassword
>      assign Inferno/POP secret? (y/n) n
>      Expiration date (YYYYMMDD or never)[return = never]: hit enter
>      Post id: hit enter
>      User's full name: bootes on vh
>      Department #: hit enter
>      User's email address: hit enter
>      Sponsor's email address: hit enter
>      changeuser: can't open /adm/keys.who
>      vh#

you don't have to worry about that error

> OK.  It looks like things aren't working too well.  Time to ask
> for guidance again.
>
> Once again, thanks for any assistance.
>
> Kim

you also need to edit your /lib/ndb/local with something like

ipnet=whatever ip=someip ipmask=someipmask
    sys=bootesmachine ether=bootesmachineeaddr
    auth=bootesmachine

Federico G. Benavento