* [9fans] I have two questions
@ 2009-07-07  9:20 xiantingmanbu
From: xiantingmanbu @ 2009-07-07  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi everyone:
        I have two questions : A  has anyone installed plan 9  through
internet from Windows XP ? If so, how to get it ? B: can MetaPost ,
ConTeXt etc. TeX --- related programs be ported into plan 9 ? I know
TeX and MetaFont can do it, but i need more TeX ---related programs
for my work...if so .how to port them.?
 looking forwards for answers...... Thanks first......

* Re: [9fans] I have two questions
@ 2009-07-07 14:58 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-07-07 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You totally misrepresented yourself with 2 questions....
You can download Plan 9 from any OS that will let you have an internet
connection and download plan 9.  When you install it you can install it
virtualized or on hardware, but check the wiki and documentation for
successful configurations perhaps first, or just give it a try.

I believe there is TeX for Plan 9, but I've not used it.  There is a POSIX
compatibility layer for Plan 9 that may help you get things ported that you
want to run (ape) and I believe there is experimental linux binary support
though i've never seen it working, screenshot or otherwise, nor have I tried
to make it work.

Good luck!

@ 2009-07-07 15:44 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-07-07 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

tex is availabe as an old ISO /n/sources/extra/tex.iso.bz2, this expects
you to have kfs as your main filesystem - but you can fake this with a
couple of binds before running replica/pull.

I installed this image, recompiled it, and pushed it out as a contrib
package steve/tex. I had a look at updating the package to a more curent
version (this source is circa 1998) but it required too mych delving for
an occasional tex user such as myself.

beware, both tex packages are bigger than you might expect.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] I have two questions
@ 2009-07-07 15:56   ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-07-07 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 07:58:53 -0700
David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe there is TeX for Plan 9, but I've not used it.  There is a POSIX
> compatibility layer for Plan 9 that may help you get things ported that you
> want to run (ape) and I believe there is experimental linux binary support
> though i've never seen it working, screenshot or otherwise, nor have I tried
> to make it work.

The TeX bundle for Plan 9 dates from 1999 or so, IIRC. I'm told it works well despite it's age but don't recall details, sorry.

There is Linux application support, I have seen a screenshot which included Firefox; quite astonishing. I think only limited attention is paid to Linux app support as for many the whole point of using Plan 9 is to avoid the planet-sized amount of cruft un*x has accumulated, but it's there if you need it.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.

* Re: [9fans] I have two questions
@ 2009-07-07 23:29     ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-07-07 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> There is Linux application support, I have seen a screenshot which included Firefox; quite astonishing. I think only limited attention is paid to Linux app support as for many the whole point of using Plan 9 is to avoid the planet-sized amount of cruft un*x has accumulated, but it's there if you need it.

if you're talking about linuxemu, cinap still works on it from time to
time, and you
can run a lot's of stuff with it, firefox, qemu, etc

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/cinap_lenrek/linuxemu3/HOWTO

--
Federico G. Benavento