* [9fans] broken contrib source
@ 2009-08-19 22:02 John Floren
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Floren @ 2009-08-19 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Upon trying to build /sys/src/cmd for the arm today (beagleboards came
in), I found that mk was dying due to bad source installed by
contrib(1) packages. mk -k install was able to get me through most of
it, but the three worst offenders didn't even have mkfiles in their
top levels; since I didn't really care about having them, I deleted
the directories and continued. Those three offenders:
1. "contrib", which seems to have only one file in it.
2. "tcl"
3. "vim"

And, while it didn't bring mk -k to a grinding halt, I did notice
that, with nupas installed,  "cd /sys/src/cmd/upas; objtype=arm mk
install" chokes on /sys/src/cmd/upas/imap4.c/imap4.c.

Please, those of you who make contrib packages, don't dump source into
/sys/src without first checking that it can actually build! It's not
too difficult to do a "mk install" in /sys/src/cmd after you put the
source in there. Maybe there should be a contrib/verify script which
goes through /sys/src and makes sure everything can still build
normally?

John
--
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing" -- Rob Pike

* Re: [9fans] broken contrib source
@ 2009-08-19 22:20 ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2009-08-19 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Which machine is this on? I don't quite understand what you're saying.
Aren't the contrib packages you're talking about something outside the
main distribution?

@ 2009-08-19 22:21 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-19 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Aug 19 18:05:36 EDT 2009, slawmaster@gmail.com wrote:
> And, while it didn't bring mk -k to a grinding halt, I did notice
> that, with nupas installed,  "cd /sys/src/cmd/upas; objtype=arm mk
> install" chokes on /sys/src/cmd/upas/imap4.c/imap4.c.

nupas compiles with [78q]c.  i hadn't considered compiling it
for arm.  sorry.  however, this appears to be a compiler limitation.
it appears not handle ?: with vlongs.  neither cache.c, imap.c nor
mdir.c compile.  all with diag.
cache.c:245 unknown vlong LIST
i believe a machcap function needs to be written.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] broken contrib source
@ 2009-08-19 22:28   ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2009-08-19 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Aaaah..... now I get it. I found it in fgb's tree. Has any announcing
config(1) on the list?

@ 2009-08-19 22:39 ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-08-19 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Please, those of you who make contrib packages, don't dump source into
> /sys/src without first checking that it can actually build! It's not
> too difficult to do a "mk install" in /sys/src/cmd after you put the
> source in there. Maybe there should be a contrib/verify script which
> goes through /sys/src and makes sure everything can still build
> normally?

relax, no need to be a prick

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] broken contrib source
@ 2009-08-19 22:41   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-19 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Aug 19 18:28:05 EDT 2009, quanstro@coraid.com wrote:
> On Wed Aug 19 18:05:36 EDT 2009, slawmaster@gmail.com wrote:
> > And, while it didn't bring mk -k to a grinding halt, I did notice
> > that, with nupas installed,  "cd /sys/src/cmd/upas; objtype=arm mk
> > install" chokes on /sys/src/cmd/upas/imap4.c/imap4.c.
>
> nupas compiles with [78q]c.  i hadn't considered compiling it
> for arm.  sorry.  however, this appears to be a compiler limitation.
> it appears not handle ?: with vlongs.  neither cache.c, imap.c nor
> mdir.c compile.  all with diag.
> cache.c:245 unknown vlong LIST
> i believe a machcap function needs to be written.

it compiles now, but i can't check it:

; diffy -c /sys/src/cmd/cc/com64.c
/n/dump/2009/0819/sys/src/cmd/cc/com64.c:274,279 - /sys/src/cmd/cc/com64.c:274,280
  		case ORETURN:
  		case OAS:
  		case OIND:
+ 		case OLIST:
  			return 1;
  		case OADD:
  			a = nodaddv;

- erik

* Re: [9fans] broken contrib source
@ 2009-08-19 23:38     ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-08-19 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Fixed contrib and tcl.

the latter had a :? with vlongs that needed a change.

thanks

--
Federico G. Benavento