* [9fans] a faster contrib(1)
@ 2009-12-10 17:25 Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-12-10 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hola,

we've been thinking about making contrib faster for some time
now and we finally got something significantly speed improvemnets.

It still uses replica but instead of pulling from sources, it grabs a
.iso.bz2 for the package, mounts it and pulls from there (locally), the
old behaviour is still supported, in fact if the iso.bz2 isn't found
it falls back to the old behavior.

pushes are still slow as it maintains the old behavior of updating
/n/sources/contrib/$usr/root/ so you don't loose the ability of
diffing code against sources.

I'll upload it in a bit, but I'd like to hear if you have any comments first

old:
0.61u 7.03s 4600.28r     contrib/install fgb/openssl

new:
2.91u 6.06s 55.37r       contrib/install fgb/openssl

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] a faster contrib(1)
@ 2009-12-10 17:31 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-12-10 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Why .iso.bz2?
Wasn't .tgz enough?

Just wondering.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Federico G. Benavento
<benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
> hola,
>
> we've been thinking about making contrib faster for some time
> now and we finally got something significantly speed improvemnets.
>
> It still uses replica but instead of pulling from sources, it grabs a
> .iso.bz2 for the package, mounts it and pulls from there (locally), the
> old behaviour is still supported, in fact if the iso.bz2 isn't found
> it falls back to the old behavior.
>
> pushes are still slow as it maintains the old behavior of updating
> /n/sources/contrib/$usr/root/ so you don't loose the ability of
> diffing code against sources.
>
> I'll upload it in a bit, but I'd like to hear if you have any comments first
>
> old:
> 0.61u 7.03s 4600.28r     contrib/install fgb/openssl
>
> new:
> 2.91u 6.06s 55.37r       contrib/install fgb/openssl
>

> --
> Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] a faster contrib(1)
@ 2009-12-10 17:54   ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-12-10 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it's a iso.bz2 because I can create it with mk9660 by using
the same proto, the other option was writing a small program
that used proto(2) to list the files and then create the tar.
mk9660 was already there so...

it didn't look like a pain, because you can mount an iso almost
everywhere now a days, even on windows you can use
winrar or 7zip to unpack them

--
Federico G. Benavento