* Re: [9fans] 10/100 pcmcia ethernet recommendation
@ 2001-04-26 16:31 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-26 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>localities, so customers have been deterred -- $80/mo.
>>is hard to justify.

you should see my telephone bill.

* Re[2]: [9fans] 10/100 pcmcia ethernet recommendation
@ 2001-04-26 17:29     ` matt
From: matt @ 2001-04-26 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello andrey,

am> then you should do something about it.. no one should pay by the minute
am> anymore...

am> i'm sure the USA people will be able to tell you more about it, but here's
am> the situation in (rural!) canada, (have in mind that the population density
am> in saskatchewan is around 3 people/km^2)...

am> phone -- base is $11 CND, free local phone calls.. (I personally buy prepaid
am>         phone cards to call overseas)

am> internet -- $45 CND; home.com cable modem, 200K/sec downloads, 30K/s uploads

am> the ones who live outside the cities and really want internet use a satelite
am> connection for their uplink, their requests usually go through a phone
am> line..

am> i know this is well known to most of the people who live on the west side of
am> the atlantic, but having to pay per minute for local phone calls is kind of
am> outrageous these days..

am> andrey

am> --
am> wasting valuable space on /n/dump since 06/2000 :)

am> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, William Staniewicz wrote:

>> You should see MY telephone bill! DSL will be a big savings when
>> and if I get it. Here in the Netherlands we pay by the minute for
>> telephone connection/dialup.
>>
>>               -Bill

>> > you should see my telephone bill.

Mercury, an-ex UK telecoms company (ex-company not ex-UK) said that
the most expensive part of call was the ink they used on the itemised
bill once you've got the network in place.

Anyone in the UK can get fixed fee dial-up through ntl: so long as you
spend �15 on calls through their network (they provide a widget
to put the number prefix on for you).

It works on BT lines it's a bit slow though we get somewhere in the
region of 1k per second out at the farm but I reckon that the
telephone cable is pretty noisy.

--
Best regards,
 matt                            mailto:matt@proweb.co.uk

* Re: [9fans] 10/100 pcmcia ethernet recommendation
@ 2001-04-26 18:33 ` William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-04-26 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-04-26 18:37   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2001-04-26 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

then you should do something about it.. no one should pay by the minute
anymore...

i'm sure the USA people will be able to tell you more about it, but here's
the situation in (rural!) canada, (have in mind that the population density
in saskatchewan is around 3 people/km^2)...

phone -- base is $11 CND, free local phone calls.. (I personally buy prepaid
        phone cards to call overseas)

internet -- $45 CND; home.com cable modem, 200K/sec downloads, 30K/s uploads

the ones who live outside the cities and really want internet use a satelite
connection for their uplink, their requests usually go through a phone
line..

i know this is well known to most of the people who live on the west side of
the atlantic, but having to pay per minute for local phone calls is kind of
outrageous these days..

andrey

--

@ 2001-04-26 16:25     ` matt
From: matt @ 2001-04-26 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas A. Gwyn

Hello Douglas,

DAG> Some of the undercapitalized ones such as Northpoint

yeah, they should have called themselves NorthPoint

sorry