* [9fans] Realtek 8110S/8169S driver.
@ 2004-12-16 21:29 jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-12-16 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

/sys/src/9/pc/ether8169.c on sources is a driver for the Realtek 8110S/8169S
Gigabit chips, we have a motherboard with one. I also did the mangling to make
it work in 9load, but it is inexplicably slow to load a kernel. If anyone
has one of these chips and would like to try to figure out the problem let me
know.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] Realtek 8110S/8169S driver.
@ 2004-12-16 22:43 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-12-16 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> /sys/src/9/pc/ether8169.c on sources is a driver for the Realtek 8110S/8169S
> Gigabit chips, we have a motherboard with one. I also did the mangling to make
> it work in 9load, but it is inexplicably slow to load a kernel. If anyone
> has one of these chips and would like to try to figure out the problem let me
> know.
>
> --jim

in the linuxbios case slowness to load the kernel from 9load has
always been caused by incorrect interrupt setup...

andrey

* Re: [9fans] Realtek 8110S/8169S driver.
@ 2004-12-16 22:50   ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-12-16 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Dec 16 17:43:54 EST 2004, mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca wrote:
> > /sys/src/9/pc/ether8169.c on sources is a driver for the Realtek 8110S/8169S
> > Gigabit chips, we have a motherboard with one. I also did the mangling to make
> > it work in 9load, but it is inexplicably slow to load a kernel. If anyone
> > has one of these chips and would like to try to figure out the problem let me
> > know.
> >
> > --jim
>
> in the linuxbios case slowness to load the kernel from 9load has
> always been caused by incorrect interrupt setup...
>
> andrey

The card is getting real interrupts, and it looks to me like they are
correctly sequenced, i.e. when loading a kernel i see a loop of

	send a request for a block from the tftp server
		transmission complete interrupt
	receive interrupt
		plonk the received packet in the appropriate place

@ 2004-12-16 22:59     ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2004-12-16 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

any change it is half/full duplex nonsense? This is also a common source
of badness in performance.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Realtek 8110S/8169S driver.
@ 2004-12-16 23:05       ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-12-16 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Dec 16 18:00:57 EST 2004, rminnich@lanl.gov wrote:
> any change it is half/full duplex nonsense? This is also a common source
> of badness in performance.
>
> ron

there are no transmission/reception errors reported. the phy says
it has negotiated correctly, e.g. it reports the correct speed and
duplex on both the 100 and 1000 links i've tried. the nic+phy require
no real management, they are very tightly bound and there's nothing
the driver has to do to the nic which depends on what the phy negotiates
as far as i can see.

@ 2004-12-21 15:17         ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-12-21 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I found the problem with the 9load version of ether8169.c
(stupid transcription error while manglig for the 9load driver nonsense).
Thanks to Sam <sah@softcardsystems.com> for a more up to date datasheet
for the part; although it didn't help with my bug it cleared up some other
inconsistencies I'd seen in the *n*x drivers.

There are updates on sources to /sys/src/boot/pc and /sys/src/9/pc/ether8169.c.
Comments, experiences, improvements welcome.

--jim