From: Geoff Collyer <geoff@collyer.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan9/Inferno based commercial products/services
Date: Fri,  1 Nov 2002 18:37:29 -0800	[thread overview]

PathStar was killed after some had been sold.  The dot-com bubble
burst and many of the customers couldn't pay their bills, and some
people thought that there weren't going to be many new customers.
There was also political maneuvering by competing groups within the
company.  I forget the exact timing; I think PathStar was cancelled in
late 2000; certainly no later than March 2001.

I thought PathStar was Lucent's last hope, but apparently management
thought that people are going to buy 7R/Es (the follow-on to the
5ESS).  If they couldn't afford PathStars, which were relatively
inexpensive, they certainly won't be able to afford 7R/Es (except
perhaps used, on ebay, where I see various 5ESS components).