From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] LSI Logic 53C1030 SCSI
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:44:36 -0400	[thread overview]

> My controller does not seem to be supported by the current driver.
>
> I have no driver programming skill, so I wonder if you have some
> ideas to modify Nigel Roles's driver to support my SCSI controller.

the linux driver you're using weighs in at 32kloc.  wow.

it appears that linux uses a different driver for your device than linux
uses for the devices that sd538xx.c supports.  the size of the drivers
involved makes it pretty difficult to determine if the current driver
could support your card.

if you felt like spending some time on the problem, it seems pretty
clear that you're getting to cribbios() in sd53c8xxenable but reset
is hanging.  if you wanted to narrow down the problem further, you
could use a binary search with print statements and figure which
line is hanging the machine.

if i had the documentation and the time, it would be fun to get this
sort of part going.  i have some similar hardware that's not
supported.  (check the 9fans archive.) but the problem is i don't have
either and the payoff of getting a couple of old, slow, small drives
going isn't quite there for me.  (actually i have two chassis with
hot-swappable raid backplanes and 18gb drives.) you should get better
performance out of a $50 ata hard drive these days.

- erik