* [9fans] a little gotcha
@ 2006-07-07 11:06 rog
From: rog @ 2006-07-07 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

don't do this under 9term in plan9port:

@{cd /somewhere; tar c} | tar x

took me a while to figure out what was going on, as just catting
the output looked fine.

* Re: [9fans] a little gotcha
@ 2006-07-07 16:45 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-07-07 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

maybe awd or that fn cd needs to check isatty.

russ

* Re: [9fans] a little gotcha
@ 2006-07-09  0:45               ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-07-09  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Micah Stetson wrote:
>> have some fun. In plan9ports rio, make a real little xterm window (with
>> bash in it), hit ^R, and watch the window disappear. It's fun if you're
>> like me and have a low fun threshhold :-)
>

> I feel left out.  It doesn't work for me.  How will I have fun?
>
> Micah

dang.

Well, in plan 9ports, I frequently don't use 9term (sorry), I use xterm.
You have to make it REALLY small, like 2 characters.

ron

* Re: [9fans] a little gotcha
@ 2006-07-09  0:39                 ` quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-07-09  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

he good news on the xterm front is they *finally* got utf-8 working.
about 10 years after 9term did.

- erik

On Sat Jul  8 19:47:56 CDT 2006, rminnich@lanl.gov wrote:

> Well, in plan 9ports, I frequently don't use 9term (sorry), I use xterm.
> You have to make it REALLY small, like 2 characters.
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] a little gotcha
@ 2006-07-08 19:08             ` Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2006-07-08 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-07-08  2:55           ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-07-08  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-07-07 19:15         ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-07-07 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-07-07 18:26       ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-07-07 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Add another 9term user.

9term++

About the only time I fire up xterm any more is to run pine.

* Re: [9fans] a little gotcha
@ 2006-07-07 18:19     ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-07-07 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] a little gotcha
@ 2006-07-07 17:38         ` quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-07-07 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Jul  7 12:41:38 CDT 2006, quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:
>oh, for isatty
>	fn awd {tty -s </dev/fd/1 && awd $*}

that should be
	fn awd {tty -s </dev/fd/1 && builtin awd $*}

d'oh.

* Re: [9fans] a little gotcha
@ 2006-07-07 17:30       ` quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-07-07 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've used 9term since it first appeared.  but it's true.  it doesn't
quite fit into unix.  readline, for example, does not work well.
i've added some support to recognize color escapes (and ignore them),
but there are some fancier editing tricks that readline uses that
9term doesn't recognize.  i didn't have the energy to fix those.
instead, i avoid bash. ;-)

oh, for isatty
	fn awd {tty -s </dev/fd/1 && awd $*}

- erik

On Fri Jul  7 11:58:20 CDT 2006, rog@vitanuova.com wrote:
> > most people i know using p9p don't actually use 9term.
> > i do, but i'm in the minority.
>
> well then you're in a minority of one more. i can't see how anyone
> would go back to a 70s tty emulation after having used rio for a while.
> if i can't edit any text in the window or go into hold mode, i feel
> like one hand's being tied behind my back...
>
> anyway, an isatty check seems like a good plan.

* Re: [9fans] a little gotcha
@ 2006-07-07 17:10       ` Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2006-07-07 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> well then you're in a minority of one more. i can't see how anyone
> would go back to a 70s tty emulation after having used rio for a while.

I was surprised it was a minority.  I wouldn't want to live in a world
of xterms.

Micah

* Re: [9fans] a little gotcha
@ 2006-07-07 16:56     ` rog
From: rog @ 2006-07-07 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-07-07 16:46   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-07-07 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> stuff should *generate* them... it's a pity really that writing a 9p fileserver
> for 9term to implement awd functionality isn't roughly the same amount of code
> as interpreting the escape-sequence.

not the point.  most people i know using p9p don't actually use 9term.
i do, but i'm in the minority.

russ

* Re: [9fans] a little gotcha
@ 2006-07-07 15:17 ` rog
From: rog @ 2006-07-07 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> his point was that you still need xterm escape sequences,
> since most distributions use them in their shell prompts.

it might be reasonable to interpret them (along with cr-lf and bs), but that doesn't mean that p9p

@ 2006-07-07 14:34 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-07-07 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

don't do this under 9term in plan9port:

@{cd /somewhere; tar c} | tar x

took me a while to figure out what was going on, as just catting
the output looked fine.
1: "

the explaination is missing; i'm assuming that you're running into this
magic:

	fn cd { builtin cd $* && awd }

where awd outputs magic xterm escape codes.  if that's what you're talking
about the quick solution is

	@{ builtin cd /somewhere; tar c} | tar x

another way to work with this is to do this

	fn awd { tty -s < /dev/fd/1 && builtin awd $* }

asswards combackability.  ☺.  i tried to convince russ that
9term needed a /dev/label analog but he didn't agree.