From: David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] boot via aan from fileserver?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:57:23 -0500	[thread overview]

When Vic Zandy gets to the lab in a month, we're going to stick his
Rocks stuff (an aan like thing) under all our server connections.
That way we'll be able to ride out network failures and perhaps
even server failures.  The latter will take a lot more work so
don't expect it soon.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3729 bytes --]

From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] boot via aan from fileserver?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:49:44 +0100

I'm currently booting diskless machines at home
(using boot flop with plan9.ini and kernel(s))
over cable modem from fs in the office
(via trampoline tcp <-> il on the cpu server)
Unfortunately, the connection occasionally breaks
giving the i/o on hangup channel error.
Could something like aan be used to make it more reliable?
I know the (non-fossil fake worm) fs itself does not speak aan,
but the trampoline is there already anyway.

I did reread nemo's message of 7 May 2003 ("update4d redirfs on sources")
in which he describes the use of redirfs to fall back from fs to kfs.
I assume I could try to use something like that,
but I would prefer to keep the machines diskless
to reduce the number of file servers to keep up to date.

Any ideas?
Axel.