* [9fans] cifs
@ 2005-07-06 15:58 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2005-07-06 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am getting very busy and have no time to finish this at present,
however I do have some usefull fixes so I put an updated version of my
cifs cilent on sources: /n/sources/contrib/steve/cifs.tar.gz

Cifs now does ntlmv2 auth (though NTLM is still the default), MAC
signing doesn't work but I don't know why. Several buglets fixed,
and info files have been changed - they now give less info but don't
require Adminstartor priviledge on the server.

If you try this and have problems - particularly with auth, please tell me!

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 IRC client
@ 2005-07-07  1:57   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-07-07  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i use an acme client under plan9port.  i think andrey
ported it to plan 9 and posted it somewhere.
if you like using acme, you'll like it.

russ

On 7/6/05, rog@vitanuova.com <rog@vitanuova.com> wrote:
> i find myself needing to use IRC, so:
>
> what do people use for an IRC client under plan 9?  with all these
> "town hall discussions", i'd blithely assumed there was something
> simple and obvious, but i can't find it.  google suggests that
> andrey's pages have a port of something called EPIC, but to be honest
> i'd much prefer something that didn't run under vt (which i hate),
> and the pages are down currently.
>
> i tried russ's shell-script-style client, but couldn't get
> it to work (it just seems to hang).
>
> i have to admit i've never used IRC in my life before...
>
>   cheers,
>     rog.

* [9fans] plan 9 IRC client
@ 2005-07-07  1:58 ` rog
From: rog @ 2005-07-07  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2005-07-07  2:05     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-07-07  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yeah, I've used it... I think :).  it's the one with the server
interface right?

I've used two that work in acme.

Dave
On Jul 6, 2005, at 6:57 PM, Russ Cox wrote:

> i use an acme client under plan9port.  i think andrey
> ported it to plan 9 and posted it somewhere.
> if you like using acme, you'll like it.
>
> russ
>
> On 7/6/05, rog@vitanuova.com <rog@vitanuova.com> wrote:
>
>> i find myself needing to use IRC, so:
>>
>> what do people use for an IRC client under plan 9?  with all these
>> "town hall discussions", i'd blithely assumed there was something
>> simple and obvious, but i can't find it.  google suggests that
>> andrey's pages have a port of something called EPIC, but to be honest
>> i'd much prefer something that didn't run under vt (which i hate),
>> and the pages are down currently.
>>
>> i tried russ's shell-script-style client, but couldn't get
>> it to work (it just seems to hang).
>>
>> i have to admit i've never used IRC in my life before...
>>
>>   cheers,
>>     rog.

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 IRC client
@ 2005-07-07  2:14       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-07-07  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Leimbach; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it's the one that pops up a window named /irc/your-server
and then you execute "Chat #plan9" to join the plan 9 channel.
i wouldn't call it a server interface.

On 7/6/05, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> yeah, I've used it... I think :).  it's the one with the server
> interface right?
>
> I've used two that work in acme.
>
> Dave
> On Jul 6, 2005, at 6:57 PM, Russ Cox wrote:
>
> > i use an acme client under plan9port.  i think andrey
> > ported it to plan 9 and posted it somewhere.
> > if you like using acme, you'll like it.
> >
> > russ
> >
> > On 7/6/05, rog@vitanuova.com <rog@vitanuova.com> wrote:
> >
> >> i find myself needing to use IRC, so:
> >>
> >> what do people use for an IRC client under plan 9?  with all these
> >> "town hall discussions", i'd blithely assumed there was something
> >> simple and obvious, but i can't find it.  google suggests that
> >> andrey's pages have a port of something called EPIC, but to be honest
> >> i'd much prefer something that didn't run under vt (which i hate),
> >> and the pages are down currently.
> >>
> >> i tried russ's shell-script-style client, but couldn't get
> >> it to work (it just seems to hang).
> >>
> >> i have to admit i've never used IRC in my life before...
> >>
> >>   cheers,
> >>     rog.

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 IRC client
@ 2005-07-07  2:23         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-07-07  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ok that doesn't sound familiar :)

Dave
On Jul 6, 2005, at 7:14 PM, Russ Cox wrote:

> it's the one that pops up a window named /irc/your-server
> and then you execute "Chat #plan9" to join the plan 9 channel.
> i wouldn't call it a server interface.
>
> On 7/6/05, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> yeah, I've used it... I think :).  it's the one with the server
>> interface right?
>>
>> I've used two that work in acme.
>>
>> Dave
>> On Jul 6, 2005, at 6:57 PM, Russ Cox wrote:
>>

>>> i use an acme client under plan9port.  i think andrey
>>> ported it to plan 9 and posted it somewhere.
>>> if you like using acme, you'll like it.
>>>
>>> russ

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 IRC client
@ 2005-07-07  6:32   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-07-07  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i find myself needing to use IRC, so:
>
> what do people use for an IRC client under plan 9?  with all these
> "town hall discussions", i'd blithely assumed there was something
> simple and obvious, but i can't find it.  google suggests that
> andrey's pages have a port of something called EPIC, but to be honest
> i'd much prefer something that didn't run under vt (which i hate),
> and the pages are down currently.
>
> i tried russ's shell-script-style client, but couldn't get
> it to work (it just seems to hang).
>
> i have to admit i've never used IRC in my life before...
>
>   cheers,
>     rog.

I apologize for not having a direct answer, but I'm currently fighting
a failing harddrive (at least it seems so whenever I try to run a
command in xterm:

	bash: /bin/ls: Input/output error

or something else even more bizarre:

	./lib/modules:
	total 16
	drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 4096 Jun 25 08:48 2.6.10-1.771_FC2
	?---------  ? ?    ?       ?            ? 2.6.10-xen0
	?---------  ? ?    ?       ?            ? 2.6.10-xenU
)

the client Russ mentioned is available under:

	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/p9/irc/irc.tgz

unfortunately that's down until the admins figure out how to fix a
failing file server.  at the same location, under 'irc7.tgz' (and
linked to from the index page) is a persistent irc client that most of
us use to connect from remote machines.  it works in two parts -- a
program called 'ircsrv' handles the connection with the irc server,
reconnecting when it drops etc., posting the resulting dialogue to
/srv.  a simple client called 'irc' parses that dialogue and presents
it to the user, accepting commands to write off to the irc channel.

two other clients take the general unix approach -- handling client
and server communication in a single package -- ircc and irc8, they
should both be accessible from the wiki.

i'm sorry about EPIC, it's a port of one of the lightest unix clients
to p9, vt was kind of necessary.  i wouldn't expect anyone to use it,
as it was done just to spite those saying 'there's no irc client for
p9'.

there's a port of the perl irc client 'sirc', which is in the same
vein as ircc and irc8 (i.e.  handles the connection and the user
dialogue in the same stdin/stdout fashion).  it needs perl.  i'm
sorry. (though if you need it i can send it).

i now need to reboot (thank god Plan 9 has nothing to do with this
machine):

	mirtchov@localrob$ ls -l /usr/bin/which
	-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 18424 Aug  7  2004 /usr/bin/which
	mirtchov@localrob$ /usr/bin/which which
	bash: /usr/bin/which: Input/output error
	mirtchov@localrob$

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 IRC client
@ 2005-07-10 19:19     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-07-10 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>i'm sorry about EPIC, it's a port of one of the lightest unix clients
>>to p9, vt was kind of necessary.  i wouldn't expect anyone to use it,

i don't think you need to use vt to use epic.
i'm fairly sure i didn't.
the important thing is not to look at the source.