* [9fans] bind -c
@ 2003-03-07 21:02 Sam
From: Sam @ 2003-03-07 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I seem to be hitting all the rough edges today.

Why shouldn't this work?
	term% mkdir replica; cd replica
	term% bind -c . .
	term% bind -a /sys/src/cmd/replica .
	term% cp mkfile . #obtain a local copy
	cp: mkfile and mkfile are the same file

Sam

* Re: [9fans] bind -c
@ 2003-03-08 13:22 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-03-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It might be useful to have a 'bind -w' option, that would cause a union member to capture all write operations that would otherwise go to members that are 'after' it.  I suppose the problem is that if a file is opened for reading *and* writing, then the file would first have to be copied to the '-w' member; also the response to file deletion would have to be decided.

'bind -w' might cause more problems than it solves; but it seems sub-optimal that at present, if we want modified files to go to one union member, leaving the originals unchanged in another, we have to perform the 'copy-on-write' operation by manually copying files to a '-c' member - and we must do this (or at least create a file with the right name) even if only write access is required to the file, not read-and-write.  Also, it is obvious that we can only do this manual preparation if we know in advance the names of the files that will be written.

Another useful option might be 'bind -r', to switch off all types of write access to a member, not just file creation.

Keith.