From: kokamoto@hera.eonet.ne.jp
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] install onto P5Q-Pro SATA drives
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:22:03 +0900	[thread overview]

> It`s possible to install the Plan 9 distribution onto Asus P5Q-Pro
> motherboard with two SATA HDD drive and a SATA DVD-RAM/±R/±RWdrive with
> 4 GB memory.

reports of Asus P5Q-Pro + ahci (fossil+venti+auth+cpu server) after above time

(1) It looks like to be able to read SATA CDROM, such that we can see directories, files at
the top level of /n/cdrom.   However, it fails to read the files under deeper levels,
say such as /n/cdrom/sys/src/9/pc/pc.  In short we cannot read cdrom correctly.

(2) vesa vga driver doen't work for say 1280x1024x16 or x 32 vgasize ( this machine's
vga card is ATI Radeon HD 4350(1002/954f).   When I set it as 1280x1024x16, I see two
small windows at the upper part of the display, and the lower part is jamed.
For 1280x1024x32, I see four small windows at the upper 1/4 part etc...

(3) for another older terminal machine with Celeron CPU with GeForce2 MX400 (10de/0110),
I can set the display only for 1024x768x8.  This is not vesamode, but nvidia driver.
Interestingly, I can use 1024x768x32 on this machine, when I booted from the distribution
CDROM (03/03/2010), which uses 9pccd.

For (2), the CDROM booted system doesn't run as 1280x1024x16 or x32 mode.

>From the above observation, I suspect that the vga driver does read only the one byte for
each pixel.   If I use 32 bit depth, the one pixel have 4 bytes, and then four windows
are shown.   Each window is the reasult of each byte from the four bytes.
Is my guess is wrong?

For nvidia driver, I don't have any idea what's is going.   Is the 9pccd.gz
of the booting CDROM is differnt from the 9pccd.gz compiled from the source tree?

Kenji