* [9fans] Re: A few questions about the new release
       [not found] <yeh8zwgyuaa.fsf@absinthe.austin.ibm.com>
@ 2000-06-12 10:06 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2000-06-12 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Bill Dodd wrote:
> ... The only one that I've been able find that is still on the market
> is the ATI Xpert 98 (PCI, 8MB, Mach64 based I believe).

It's actually based on the ATI Rage Pro chip, but supposedly the Plan9
MACH64 driver supports it.  I'll soon find out, as I am in the process
of downgrading from an ATI Xpert 128 (which doesn't appear to be MACH64
compatible) to the Xpert 98 specifically to support Plan9.

One can often find "legacy" video cards and sound cards (almost no
current sound card seems to be ISA SoundBlaster-16 compatible) at
weekend "computer shows" (e.g. the ones MarketPro sponsors).  Stock
up on supported hardware while you can!

> Looking down the road, I plan to set up a file server and cpu server.
> Is there a requirement that either of these 2 boxes have a video card
> that is supported in graphics mode, or will any old card that just
> works in text mode be sufficient to install/configure/administer
> these?

Consider temporarily installing a supported graphics card, then once
the software is installed and running, change back to the old one.

* [9fans] Re: A few questions about the new release
@ 2000-06-14  8:52   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2000-06-14  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Douglas A. Gwyn" wrote:
> Bill Dodd wrote:
> > ... The only one that I've been able find that is still on the
> > market is the ATI Xpert 98 (PCI, 8MB, Mach64 based I believe).
> It's actually based on the ATI Rage Pro chip, but supposedly the
> Plan9 MACH64 driver supports it.

Sure enough, it has been working fine!