* [9fans] My share of plan9 problems :)
@ 2000-06-11  1:48 Andrey
From: Andrey @ 2000-06-11  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<congratulations for the release go here>

So, I am having a bit of trouble with installing the distribution...

Here is the brief:

Using 2 hard drives: a 4 gig one containing FreeBSD and a 850 meg one
dedicated to plan 9 (ugh... AMD k6/2-400... PC architecture)..

I have downloaded several different floppies with configurations that may
suit my monitor, and most of them have been siccesfull in booting, however
they never go beyond 'boot from: fd0 sdC0' unless the machine has just been
rebooted using the 'reset' button... I guess my second drive is not
recognized by the bootloader...

If the machine has been hot-booted with the reset button, the installation
routine will start (in 1024x768 mode) and it will continue flawlessly until
configuring the bootloader after all has been installed. Setting the boot to
'plan9' (which is the second disk) prints an error message that this disk
can not be booted, and will not produce anything beyond 'non-system disk or
disk error' on bootup. A boot floppy will not recognise sdC1 and if I put
the HDD as the master one it will print the 'boot from:' and upon executing
"fd0!9pcflop.gz' it will complain about not having a FAT partition to read
from (or something to that effect)...

I have managed to install plan9 about 5 times so far (ugh :) but am still
unable to boot it after a succesfull installation...

Any comments will be appreciated... if you have the time :)

Thanx: Andrey

PS: sorry if it sounds confusing, I simply tried everything I could think of
before writing this email and the information gathered is too complex to be
laid out properly in an e-mail :)

* [9fans] My share of plan9 problems :)
@ 2000-06-11 21:51 ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2000-06-11 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans,

> however they never go beyond 'boot from: fd0 sdC0'
>"fd0!9pcflop.gz' it will complain about not having a FAT partition
to read

I experienced same problem and cleared the problem using
"fd0!dos!9pcflop.gz"

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

* Re: [9fans] My share of plan9 problems :)
@ 2000-06-12 10:29   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2000-06-12 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:
> >"fd0!9pcflop.gz' it will complain about not having a FAT partition
> I experienced same problem and cleared the problem using
> "fd0!dos!9pcflop.gz"

You got lucky -- in the loader code those are suppoed to be equivalent
(i.e. a floppy is always treated as a single dos filesystem).

I found that my system has the same problem unless I *disable*
my second (different type) floppy drive in the BIOS beforehand,
and nothing that is entered at that prompt will work (in my case).