* Re: [9fans] Hello and some Plan 9 network configuration questions
@ 2000-06-13  5:53 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-06-13  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alteridentity, 9fans

A good question.  You should refer to
plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/start.pdf (or start.html)
but I'll make a few comments too.

The use of a single Plan 9 box for
everything is officially discouraged,
but understandable.  I was trying to
figure out how to massage things to
do that in a similar situation earlier
this evening.

To create some nvram,
	dd -bs 512 -count 1 </dev/zero >plan9.nvr
and copy that to the floppy that you're
booting from.  (Yes, unfortunately you
have to boot from a floppy to run a cpu
server currently.  Otherwise it will not
find the nvram file.  That's a bug.)

Then when you boot you'll be prompted
for the appropriate information.

The Plan 9 install makes a box that is
fairly locked down, rather than wide open.
You have to explicitly turn on the more
sketchy services.

As for your network, you want something like:

ipnet=home-net ip=192.168.1.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
	dns=151.164.1.7
	dns=151.164.1.8
	ipgw=192.168.1.254
	auth=plan9
	cpu=plan9

ip=192.168.1.1 sys=nitro
ip=192.168.1.2 sys=plastique
ip=192.168.1.3 sys=dock
ip=192.168.1.4 sys=tor
ip=192.168.1.7 sys=plan9 proto=il

I could be wrong, but I think 192 is a default
class C network.  If it is a class B address, you would need

ipnet=big-net ip=192.168.0.0 ipmask=255.255.0.0
	ipsubmask=255.255.255.0

too, because the network search starts at the
default network and works its way down.  It's
described in ndb(2) and start.html.

Russ

* [9fans] Hello and some Plan 9 network configuration questions
@ 2000-06-13  3:43 James G. Stallings II
From: James G. Stallings II @ 2000-06-13  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello!

I found this list via the Plan 9 FAQ, on USEnet.

I've subscribed because I've been a Plan 9 convert for three days now
and I've gotten far enough along that I need to start asking
infrastructure questions. While I'm on the subject, I was able to get so
far because of Jim (jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com). Thanks Jim!

Here's the deal: I put together an old clunker 486 box as follows:

unknown VLB MB
486DX 66 Cyrix
32 MB RAM
541 MB HD
SB16 Audio
Speedstar64 VGA with about 511MB memory (some pixels drop out sometimes
;^)
Linksys Ether16CT 10BT NIC (NE2K Clone)
Standard isssue KB, Ser Mouse (2 button),  FDD, IDE CDR

I've got it up and running most of the way; networking worked when I
installed but I've since broken it. I can't get 'cpu' to run and I think
its because of the networking. Authentication seems to work but there's
no nvram so I have to type the password a lot when generating keys and
starting keyfs. I've successuflly added a new user, and if it weren't
for the broken network config I'd probably have a plan 9 box sitting
there on the net wide open (ok, because it's a private network).

My goals are to incorporate the Plan 9 box into my existing network, and
use it as a starting point for increased plan 9 prominence ;^) I'd like
to play around with sharing files with other boxen on the network,
running linux and win32 oses.

For now I need to configure the Plan 9 box (plan9) as a standalone Plan
9 host, serving the terminal, fileserver, auth server, and cpu server.

the existing topology is like this:

192.168.1.1 nitro - a quick win95/redhat dual boot box w/voodoo 3 agp
192.168.1.2 plastique - debian fileserver on 32M/P166
192.168.1.3 dock - winnt laptop
192.168.1.4 tor - win95 box in kitchen

gateway is 192.168.1.254
dns is at 151.164.1.7 and 151.164.1.8

and the new edition:

192.168.1.7 plan9 - Plan 9 experimental/developement platform

Could someone perhaps show me how to set up /lib/ndb/local* to implement
this flat class C network?

All comments/suggestions/instruction appreciated!

References to documentation welcomed!

I'm aware that a lot of this may be FAQ but I'm still working my way
throught that and I'd like to address my networking asap.

Thanks for your patience -
James

http://im.yahoo.com