* [9fans] Still more newbie blather
@ 2000-06-17 17:32 James G. Stallings II
From: James G. Stallings II @ 2000-06-17 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings, 9fans!

Here's some more rambling about what I'm doing with plan 9.  Feel free
to respond as you see fit. All suggestions welcome.

I just got some more old hardware, this time a 100mhz dx4 486. It's
quite a bit better than the dx2 66 I was using. Unfortunately I don't
have a working system assembled at the moment.

Some stuff that came with it: a pertec 120mb "floppy" tape drive; and a
600+mb micropolis scsi II drive. The scsi host adapter is a DTC 3280as.
Is there any possibility that this junk is supported? I'm thinking slow
storage behind a file server; active storage<-scsi disk<-pertec tape.
Not exactly high performance stuff, but it's right here under my hands.

I'm starting to get serious enough about this to think in terms of
better hardware; what direction should I be taking in terms of
fileserver storage? Obviously I'm not about to install a big CD jukebox
to backend the fileserver ;^)

Thanks for listening to me ruminate-

James

http://im.yahoo.com