* [9fans] S3 ViRGE/DX?
@ 2000-07-19 15:24 Belldandy
From: Belldandy @ 2000-07-19 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  My video card uses the S3 ViRGE/DX chipset. The hardware
  requirements for Plan9 says it supports ViRGE/GX, GX2, VX, and MX.
  I wonder if DX is compatible enough to work.

  Also, Plan9 video chipset support is quite scarce right now.....
  Is anyone writing other drivers?

* [9fans] Re: S3 ViRGE/DX?
@ 2000-07-21  8:34 ` Artem 'Thomas' Hlushko
From: Artem 'Thomas' Hlushko @ 2000-07-21  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi!

Belldandy <narumi@tpts5.seed.net.tw> wrote:

>   My video card uses the S3 ViRGE/DX chipset. The hardware
>   requirements for Plan9 says it supports ViRGE/GX, GX2, VX, and MX.
>   I wonder if DX is compatible enough to work.

>   Also, Plan9 video chipset support is quite scarce right now.....
>   Is anyone writing other drivers?

virge/gx & virge/dx has the same chipset
gx has sgram
dx has sdram

virge/dx is a good choice

bye

* Re: [9fans] S3 ViRGE/DX?
@ 2000-07-20 17:38 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-07-20 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I found a DX card and fixed the cursor problem. The ID code for the DX
was wrong in both /sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/virge.c and /sys/src/9/pc/vgas3.c.
In both, replace all instances of

	case 0xE18A:				/* ViRGE/[DG]X */
with
	case 0xE101:				/* ViRGE/[DG]X */

This fix will be in the next update.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] S3 ViRGE/DX?
@ 2000-07-20  9:38   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-07-20  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 09:17:09AM +0000, Belldandy wrote:

>   I tried booting the install disk, and it didn't work(ended with a
>  % prompt), and it did show info about not finding the controller
>  in lib/vgadb.

The suggestion is to use it as a GX, with the funny cursor shape.  It
worked adequately for installation purposes.  The vertical bars are
non-destructive.

>   Anyway, I'll probably have to wait before DX is supported.

I'll be keen to see that as well.  I thought my Diamond Stealth was
quite a spiffy card, but it seems everyone has far more graphical
power than I ever thought I would need (32 Meg on the card?).

++L

* Re: [9fans] S3 ViRGE/DX?
@ 2000-07-20  9:23 ianb
From: ianb @ 2000-07-20  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> We tried a DX. We got the graphics working easily, but the cursor didn't
>> work
>did you start with the Trio64 definition or Trio64V+?

Can't remember. We tried quite a few different ones. In the end, it
was easier to change the card than to use ed. ;-)

Ian

* Re: [9fans] S3 ViRGE/DX?
@ 2000-07-20  9:17 ` Belldandy
From: Belldandy @ 2000-07-20  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ianb@cs.york.ac.uk wrote:

> We tried a DX. We got the graphics working easily, but the cursor didn't work
> properly -- had 2 stripes about 100x300 pixels below it.
>
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:07:10 -0400 owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu wrote:
> >Belldandy <narumi@tpts5.seed.net.tw>
> >  My video card uses the S3 ViRGE/DX chipset. The hardware
> >  requirements for Plan9 says it supports ViRGE/GX, GX2, VX, and MX.
> >  I wonder if DX is compatible enough to work.
> >
> >I did have a DX card at one point and it worked. That was before various
> >overhauls of the code so your mileage may vary.
> >
> >--jim

* Re: [9fans] S3 ViRGE/DX?
@ 2000-07-20  3:24 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-07-20  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ianb wrote:
	> We tried a DX. We got the graphics working easily, but the cursor didn't work
	> properly -- had 2 stripes about 100x300 pixels below it.

As successive generations beat their heads bloody against the vagaries
of aux/vga an older card sometimes falls by the wayside. I'll see if I can find
a DX tomorrow and get the cursor working again. It might have been this one:

	0xC00D8="#9-325 BIOS Version 2.18.08"		# #9FX Reality 332

--jim

* Re: [9fans] S3 ViRGE/DX?
@ 2000-07-20  2:41 ` Eric Dorman
From: Eric Dorman @ 2000-07-20  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ianb wrote:
> We tried a DX. We got the graphics working easily, but the cursor didn't
work
> properly -- had 2 stripes about 100x300 pixels below it.

did you start with the Trio64 definition or Trio64V+?  when i lied to
vga and told it my Trio64V2 was really a Trio64 an extremely similar
effect occured, where the two stripes were rectanges about 10px high
and ~30px wide.  using Trio64V+ as a baseline made the problem
go away. [err, perhaps vice versa.. i'm away from Plan9 right now :<]

--eric

* Re: [9fans] S3 ViRGE/DX?
@ 2000-07-19 16:19 ianb
From: ianb @ 2000-07-19 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We tried a DX. We got the graphics working easily, but the cursor didn't work
properly -- had 2 stripes about 100x300 pixels below it.

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:07:10 -0400 owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu wrote:
>Belldandy <narumi@tpts5.seed.net.tw>
>  My video card uses the S3 ViRGE/DX chipset. The hardware
>  requirements for Plan9 says it supports ViRGE/GX, GX2, VX, and MX.
>  I wonder if DX is compatible enough to work.
>
>I did have a DX card at one point and it worked. That was before various
>overhauls of the code so your mileage may vary.
>
>--jim

* Re: [9fans] S3 ViRGE/DX?
@ 2000-07-19 16:07 jmk