From: "Mark C. Otto" <Mark_Otto@FWS.Gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Hooking a Plan9 Terminal to the Network
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:42:04 -0400	[thread overview]

I need some hints checking out my 3COM 3C905-TX ethernet card or setting up my
/lib/ndb/local file.  The card passes the 3Com diagnostic tests. I used a

ether0=type=elnk3

in my plan9.ini file, and plan9 boots with it,

#l0: elnk3: 10Mbps port 0xFCC0 irq9: 0060083FF7AE

I get a

ndb/dns: can't read my ip address

error.

For now I am just trying to attach my terminal to our network.  I do not
have a cpu, file, or auth server yet.  I can use ndb/ipquery to get our dns
servers,
my ip address, domain, network, and gateway from the ether net address.

To see if the ether net worked, I tried telnet and traceroute to my linux box,

telnet net!bfbooby
telnet: connection timed out (connect 164.159.212.30!23)

ip/traceroute -d bfbooby
interrupted
*
interrupted
*

Are there other diagnostics to work on or should I be looking for a problem in
my /lib/ndb/local.  I attached my /lib/ndb/local and plan9.ini files.  Thanks.

Mark

P.S. I am suprised that ndb/ipquery is case sensitive (BFBooby isn't found but
bfbooby is.) when internet addresses aren't.