From: "Mark C. Otto" <Mark_Otto@FWS.Gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu, "Forsyth, Charles" <Forsyth@VitaNuova.Com>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Hooking a Plan9 Terminal to the Network
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:33:39 -0400	[thread overview]

I did manage to get my plan9 terminal hooked up to the network.  The error
turned up to be simple after Russ pointed me to the 9fans' archives.  Pip wrote
about configuring ip/ipconfig:

pip@namaste.stricca.org pip@namaste.stricca.org
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 00:53:54 -0400

>... "can't read my ip address"
And I guess it stalls for about 60 secs ? I think it tries for a minute to get
your IPaddr via DHCP, but I guess that's obvious.

Try the following line for your /rc/bin/termrc:

ip/ipconfig -g 195.182.167.1 ether /net/ether0 add   your_ip  your_netmask
>>[2]/tmp/ipconfig.debug.log

I originally assumed that ip/ipconfig would use /lib/ndb/local, since I had
configured the network there.  Next, I tried the ip/ipconfig after
/rc/bin/termrc had run and that had no effect.  Maybe I needed to unbind the ip
stack and start over.  The trick is to configure your ip address in termrc
during init(8), so ipconfig will not try to use DHCP.   It might be worth adding
a line in distribution's termrc:

# Configure the ethernet, see ipconfig(8), ip(3)
ip/ipconfig -g YOUR_GATEWAY ether /net/ether0 add   YOUR_IP  YOUR_NETMASK
>>[2=1]

I'll make better use of the archives next time.  Thanks to Charles Forsyth for
looking into the problem.  Now to see if I can get my mail off a POP3 server.

Mark
--
Mark Otto, Biological Statistician          work: 301-497-5872
Population and Habitat Assessment Section    fax: 301-497-5871