From: gdiaz@online.ie
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] USB audio setup (xitel hifi-link AN1)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:36:28 +0100	[thread overview]

well, I just choose that device because I read on 9fans there are some people that have it runing without problems. :? I missed the model?

I have no external volume control :(

is anyone able to play music with this device with updated sources? or i should rollback to older sources?

thanks

gabi

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4179 bytes --]

From: Kenji Okamoto <okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:26:47 +0900

> Number of Play Units = 1, and consists of 1,
> Number of Record Units = 0, and consists of
> Number of masterRecAGC Units = 0, and consists of
> Number of masterRecMute Units = 0, and consists of
> Number of LRRecVol Units = 0, and consists of
> Number of masterPlayMute Units = 1, and consists of 2,
> Number of masterPlayVol Units = 0, and consists of
> Number of LRPlayVol Units = 1, and consists of 2,

Hmm, you are running the new sources.
The point may be you have no masterPlayVolUnits, and instead,
do LRPlayVolUnits.

In such case, I had no experience so far.
If you can check threadmain() in usbaudio.c, where the setcontrol(Play, "volume", volume) line.
Is this line working fine?  I suppose it's not.
Another thing, do you have what kind of volume control, I mean do you
have some kinds of mechanical volume control on the device?

I'm now busy in many things, and now in video device for Plan 9.
This is because there are many kinds of USB audio devices, and individuals
have different configurations of various controls, which lead us
complicated control codes to write.   I feel it's not possible to get a
general solution for this matter.   Therefore, I expect if you want to make
your USB audio device to work, you have to do something by yourself...

In addition, I still have problem to make good quality sound through USB
device, such mp3 file to USB audio device.
If you are using CDROM to speaker or FM tuner to speaker etc, you'd
have no problem and would be able to get good quality sound.
I do not know why we cannot good quality sound through USB port yet.

If somthing can happen, it may be after the end of this year.   Of course,
anyone can contribute, and hide my dirty work to the evil would be
appreciated.

Sorry about it.

Kenji