* Re: [9fans] Are nvidia-cards working with plan9?
@ 2000-10-05 15:10 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2000-10-05 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > If the Wall Street crowd had their way, Microsoft would
> > declare their drop-down menus proprietary, so you'd have
> > to hire someone to operate your PCs for you.
> >
> Don't blame Wall Street, blame the buying public, and their inability
> to resist the media.

Or blame the media for being so hard to resist...  (I sense an infinite
regress lurking here).

* Re: [9fans] Are nvidia-cards working with plan9?
@ 2000-10-05  0:29 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-10-05  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Assuming you have (or can get) one.  Most of them are obsolete.

This may be true.
However, I can choose inferno if I really want to run such a thing
like Plan 9 on a newest hardware I have.   After I got inferno
on our Plan 9 system and on my home Windows/95 machine,
I got this feeling from deep.

Then, the reason why I'm using Plan 9 on our Univ. is very clear:
I love its clearness and simple is best principle, in other words,
I'm one of 9fans.   ^_^

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2246 bytes --]

From: jiho@smtp.popsite.net
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Are nvidia-cards working with plan9?
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 08:45:25 GMT

In article <39D90BF6.9133377@null.net>,
	"Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAGwyn@null.net> writes:

> root@mail.c-zone.net wrote:
>> For this plan to work, people must have the system installed
>> and functional.  If they need a graphics card driver first,
>> that might be difficult.
>
> It's easy enough to install a supported graphics card.

Assuming you have (or can get) one.  Most of them are obsolete.

Then there's the issue of either setting up a spare machine,
or replacing the (better) card in the machine you use....

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>

* Re: [9fans] Are nvidia-cards working with plan9?
@ 2000-10-04 13:07 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-10-04 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	s/I'll pass along the MOT S19 records for the 1.04 bios if anyone would
	like them//

It seems to me that if replacing the BIOS is all
that you need to do to get a card working, you
should be able to just add the right BIOS string
in vgadb instead: since we don't use the BIOS,
if aux/vga works under the old BIOS it should
work under the new one.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Are nvidia-cards working with plan9?
@ 2000-09-25 10:57 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-09-25 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I can't help but wonder where a lot of other OSes would have been
>>right now if they had not turned their noses up at 'gaming hardware'.
>>It's a good thing that

it isn't a case of turning up noses at games or gaming hardware;
it's often a matter of manufacturers not
releasing the data required to program them, or not without one or more of:
a fuss, NDA, no source distribution, internet lobbying, manufacturer
jumping on linux bandwagon, and reverse engineering.
it's a lot of fuss for a research group once they've got drivers for
a reasonable selection of reasonable cards from reasonable manufacturers,
updated periodically as cards come and go.

* Re: [9fans] Are nvidia-cards working with plan9?
@ 2000-09-21  8:58 nigel
From: nigel @ 2000-09-21  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In general, the more 3D oriented, and state-of-the-art,
the less likely the card is to be supported. This is partially
a function of the proprietary nature of 'gamers' cards,
and partially the unlikelihood that researchers in Plan 9
have found the need to support such cards.

If you read the hardware compatibility specs, you will
see what is supported in the current release. The usual
line is 'ATi mach64 based cards are OK'. Of course, if
you see it mentioned in /lib/vgadb then this is encouraging.

Support is improving, though. If you check the archives,
you will see that a Voodoo 3 and S3 Savage drivers have been
done, but not yet released. Matrox G200/G400 may not be far away.

On the flip side, no Ati 128 bit cards are supported.

Another important rule of thumb is 'does XFree86 support
it'. This is an indication as to whether the technical
documentation needed to write a driver is available.
At one time certainly, Nvidia were difficult.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1945 bytes --]

From: Henri Philipps <Henri.Philipps@web.de>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Are nvidia-cards working with plan9?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:27:49 GMT

Hi,

are graphic-boards with nvidia chipset working with plan9?

I have a GeForce2 and couldnt find a way to make it work by changing the
vgadb file. Can anyone give me a hint in this direction?

Where is the best place to find an answer to this kind of questions?

Thanks,

Henri

* [9fans] Are nvidia-cards working with plan9?
@ 2000-09-21  8:27 Henri Philipps