* [9fans] booting with the Win2K loader....
@ 2001-04-23  8:46 Belldandy
From: Belldandy @ 2001-04-23  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  The install docs on the Plan9 website says about running
'bootsetup' to specify the boot method. The 'winnt' method,
as described in the docs, creates the bootsector file needed
by the NT loader, and edits and backs up boot.ini. The
unflexible part of this is the NT/Win2k installation has to
be on a FAT partition, which mine isn't.

  This should be able to be circumvented by manually creating
the bootsect.p9 and editing boot.ini by hand(from win2k).
I originally thought the needed bootsector file is from the
start of the plan9 partition, which I thought wrong(didn't work).

 My question is: Just how can we get a NT loader usable
bootsector file manually?

* [9fans] Re: booting with the Win2K loader....
@ 2001-04-24  9:01 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-04-24  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Belldandy wrote:
> unflexible part of this is the NT/Win2k installation has to
> be on a FAT partition, which mine isn't.

No, Windows NT or Windows 2000 can reside in an NTFS partition
(mine does).  Just the secondary NT boot loader and BOOT.INI
need to exist on a (small) FAT filesystem.  Of course, if you
didn't have the foresight to create one before installing
Windows NT or Windows 2000, adding it now could affect your
drive letters.  (Fixable with the disk administration tool.)

By the way, I never did get Windows 98, NT 4.0, or 2000 Pro
to boot Plan9r3 via the boot-block image installed by the
Plan9r3 installation floppy.  I ended up using partition boot
(with a boot manager utility so I can select which OS to boot).

* Re: [9fans] booting with the Win2K loader....
@ 2001-04-23 15:47 rsc
From: rsc @ 2001-04-23 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> My question is: Just how can we get a NT loader usable
> bootsector file manually?

I would have expected the first sector of the Plan 9
partition to do the trick, assuming you can boot from
that partition normally.  If it doesn't, I've no ideas.

Russ

* [9fans] booting with the Win2K loader....
@ 2001-04-23  8:44 Belldandy