From: Louis Beleos <beleos@uisreno.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Installation problem
Date: Wed,  2 May 2001 17:16:41 -0700	[thread overview]

Paolo Pisati wrote:

> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 03:32:19PM -0700, Louis Beleos wrote:
> > I believe the Virge Dx/Gx chipsets are supported. It is probably
> > just a matter of adding the appropriate identification string
> > to the installation disk's vgadb. A dump of your video bios should
> > have been written to file vgainfo.txt on the installation disk. Check
> > this file for the correct string to add to vgadb.
>
> uhmmm.... i've just read the pages that you've advised to me, but
> i've some problems =P
>
> i come from the unix world, and i feel a bit disoriented in the
> plan9 (rc) shell:
>
> 1) you tell me to edit the file /lib/vgadb, but there aren't vi(ARGH!!!!),
> ex, elvis, joe, etcetc which editor can i use in the command line?

The installation disk is dos formatted - the text files (plan9.ini,
vgadb)
can viewed/edited on any machine with dos file support.

> 2) i was unable to find the dump (vgainfo.txt) of aux/vga, which is the exact
> location of this file (PATH)?

It is normally written to the installation disk just prior to
starting rio, as part of the normal installation process.
If it is not on the installation disk, then the install died earlier
than implied by your original post.

Do you wind up with a shell prompt (%)?
If so, then you should be able to try the following commands:
% a:			(mounts the floppy on /n/a:)
% ls /n/a:
to list the contents of the installation disk.

> 3) there aren't any 'more' or 'less' command...
> so, how can i see the contents of a crowded directory?
> for example, when i issue 'ls' in /bin, the list of files fill the screen,
> scrolling out the firt entries, preventing me to see it, and this is very
> annoying..... =P
> i hope you understand me =)

Are you referring to the machine on which you are trying to
install Plan 9? The install disk contains nly a minimal set
of commands  The Plan 9 equivalent of 'more' or 'less'
is the command 'p' but I  don't think it is included on the
install system. Command 'lc' will give a columnized list of
directory contents, but again, it isn't available until after
installation is finished.

> and now, tell me if i'm correct:
>
> 1) i boot the system

OK (rio fails to start and you are left at a shell prompt.)
Do you get a video bios dump on the screen?

> 2) i edit /lib/vgadb and add my video card (i've to add something like "86c375"
> in some place in that file, i'll play a bit wiht it =)

This is basically it, but the file to edit is vgadb located on the
installation disk. It will be easier to edit this file on another
machine.

The entry to be added is something like Kenji Okamoto's post:
   0xC0045="S3 86C375/86C385 Video BIOS. Version 2.01.07_508"
#Virge DX

The exact address and string is determined by examining the video
bios dump (either on screen or in file vgainfo.txt freshly written
to the installation disk).

--
Louis