* [9fans] manual dumps
@ 2002-01-10 18:23 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-01-10 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

boyd, you posted some script to do manual dumps with tar.
you might be interested in dump9660 (see mk9660(8)) too,
which is a bit more space efficient, assuming you don't
change every file every day.

russ

* Re: [9fans] manual dumps
@ 2002-01-10 18:42 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-01-10 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox wrote:
> boyd, you posted some script to do manual dumps with tar.
> you might be interested in dump9660 (see mk9660(8)) too

Thanks, but given there's not much I can do with such images,
given the brilliant CD burning s/w I have on windows, it's a bit
of a moot point.

With the Kodak burner I have you get the whole 9 yards:

    VAIO + Adaptec s/w + USB burner

It's always fun when it pops up as a CPU on the USB bus.

I've been thinking about finally putting the latin-1 keyboard
driver out, which works fine except for caps-lock = ctrl, but
I'm pretty sure I know why that is.

I have a lot less time for 'ranting' (as the FAQ puts it) now I
have a real job with real deadlines and real work.

And yes, this is being typed on a Swedish qwerty keyboard;  it's
a lot better than azerty, but has its own quirks.

The scripts I wrote were just quick hacks to solve an immediate problem.

* Re: [9fans] manual dumps
@ 2002-01-10 18:53   ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2002-01-10 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 07:42:22PM +0100, Boyd Roberts wrote:
> Russ Cox wrote:
> > boyd, you posted some script to do manual dumps with tar.
> > you might be interested in dump9660 (see mk9660(8)) too
>
> Thanks, but given there's not much I can do with such images,
> given the brilliant CD burning s/w I have on windows, it's a bit
> of a moot point.

Current Windows software won't let you burn an ISO image?
Certainly the Adaptec software I used here before I got
my own CD burner did, but that was two years or more ago.

I'm glad we finally got around to putting RRIP into dump9660.
It's very useful as a poor man's dumpfs under Unix -- I use
it for everything but mail (stupid O(n^2) growth).

 -WJ

* Re: [9fans] manual dumps
@ 2002-01-10 19:07     ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2002-01-10 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Current Windows software won't let you burn an ISO image?

plenty of them don't

you can mount them as a virtual drive in Windows using DemonTools

not that I've tried with plan9 produced iso's

* Re: [9fans] manual dumps
@ 2002-01-10 19:26       ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2002-01-10 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 07:07:42PM +0000, Matt wrote:
> > Current Windows software won't let you burn an ISO image?
>
> plenty of them don't
> you can mount them as a virtual drive in Windows using DemonTools
> not that I've tried with plan9 produced iso's

Obviously, I haven't tried them under Windows much. I have tried
mounting them both from CD and plain files under FreeBSD, Linux, and
Plan 9.  I don't recall what it does with symlinks off hand -- I think
I hacked that in to my Unix version if it isn't there already, but it
may just follow the link instead.

Is the story with UDF images pretty much the same?  I've been toying
with doing UDF so I can use DVD+RW.

 -WJ

* Re: [9fans] manual dumps
@ 2002-01-11  9:48     ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2002-01-11  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

William Josephson wrote:
> Current Windows software won't let you burn an ISO image?
> Certainly the Adaptec software I used here before I got
> my own CD burner did, but that was two years or more ago.

It still does (Roxio took over the "Easy CD Creator" suite).
I don't know what problem Boyd et al. are having; perhaps
they are using something like "Direct CD" which is of course
OS specific.

* Re: [9fans] manual dumps
@ 2002-01-11 12:21       ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-01-11 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Douglas A. Gwyn" wrote:
> It still does (Roxio took over the "Easy CD Creator" suite).

I have that.  The version I have is awful.  I avoid using anything
in it that is known not to work ('known not to work' is a variable).

> "Direct CD" which is of course OS specific.

Yes, it is and should be avoided.

* Re: [9fans] manual dumps
@ 2002-01-11  4:54 ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2002-01-11  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 01:39:13PM, okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:
> >with doing UDF so I can use DVD+RW.
>
> on Plan 9?

Eventually.  The code to handle UDF ought to
be OS neutral and is more easily tested under
Unix where I have other software that handles
UDF.  That's how we did RRIP originally -- I
use Plan 9 dump9660 under Unix out of cron.
I can worry about device drivers later. I
don't even have a drive yet and am not likely
to buy one, if at all, until I can use it for
a dump device.  I could use ISO 9660, so perhaps
that will suffice.  I think I'd like to take
advantage of being able to rewrite blocks in
place, however.

 -WJ

* Re: [9fans] manual dumps
@ 2002-01-11  4:39 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-01-11  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>with doing UDF so I can use DVD+RW.

on Plan 9?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] manual dumps
@ 2002-01-10 18:51 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-01-10 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thanks, but given there's not much I can do with such images,
> given the brilliant CD burning s/w I have on windows, it's a bit
> of a moot point.

That's not true, you can still mount them under Plan 9,
and most Windows CD burning s/w will accept a raw iso image
if you poke around long enough in the UI.

Russ