* [9fans] XP (was: code complexity)
@ 2002-02-05 17:40 iwanek
From: iwanek @ 2002-02-05 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On a related topic, what does people on this list think of
Extreme Programming (XP)?

XP is supposed to encourage

- writing readable code through pair programming,
- avoiding code bloat by refactoring,

but I have a feeling this is just a literature. I, for one, enjoyed
and profited from reading "The Practice of Programming" so
much more than reading any XP documents so far.

Is anyone practicing XP? Does it help at all to reduce code
complexity?

- kazumi

* Re: [9fans] XP (was: code complexity)
@ 2002-02-06  0:10 geoff
From: geoff @ 2002-02-06  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I haven't read enough about XP to comment on most of it, but I dislike
the idea of pair programming.  There's nothing wrong with someone else
reading my code, but I need some quiet and calm to program, so having
someone nattering in my ear, second-guessing me is going to be a
disaster.  And how is the other member of the pair selected?  Having
someone you don't like or don't agree with as your partner would be
even more galling.  It would be like being part of a team that isn't
self-selected but imposed by management (actually a ``team'' in that
case, since it's not real).  And how do you program at home or when
travelling?  Pick some random person as your partner?  Go it alone?