From: Sean Quinlan <seanq@research.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] how small can you get
Date: Fri,  8 Feb 2002 12:04:52 -0500	[thread overview]

That is exactly the way we have headed with plan 9 here at the labs.
The current internal version of the kernel has this functionality.
We are also in the process of redoing the /boot.  The idea is
to use rc as the boot scripting language.  The combination of these two
ideas means that 9load can be greatly simplified, and we can have scenarios
such as
	9load->local kernel -> setup ip; connected to fs; load kernel over 9p -> reboot

The local kernel is just a fancy bootloader.

The only tricky aspects to getting this to work is resetting the various
devices that potentially can be doing DMA during or soon after the reboot.

Another issue is the kernel configuration enviroment.

email me if you want more details.

seanq