* Re[2]:[9fans] image resampling
@ 2002-04-15 15:53 steve.simon
From: steve.simon @ 2002-04-15 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Re OS-X, The simple answer is, no idea.

They maybe using hardware acceleration of the graphics device?

Maybe OS-X is not resampling a full 24 bit RGB image as the plan9 one is?

There is a  trick you can do throwing memory at the problem,  if your image is 8
bits
deep and you have 8 coefficients then you have 64K  entry
lookup table instead of a multiplier. I haven't tried this for
years - it was a win in the days of slow multiply instructions, probably
irrelevant now.

The vertical pass can cause rather nasty RAM access patterns and may
upset the CPU's data cache, Rotating the array by 90 degrees and reapplying the
same horizontal filter code (though not the coefficients -
non-square aspect ratios) might help.

All a bit speculative though, Russ's code looks a very sane implementation to
me.

-Steve

The contents of this communication are confidential to the normal user of
the email address to which it was sent.  If you have received this email
in error, any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.  If this is the case, please notify the
sender and delete this message.

* Re: [9fans] image resampling
@ 2002-04-15 15:54 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-04-15 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

steve.simon@snellwilcox.com wrote:

> Re OS-X, The simple answer is, no idea.

Geoff Collyer may be able to answer that one.

* [9fans] image resampling
@ 2002-04-12 15:38 ++pac
From: ++pac @ 2002-04-12 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, friends,

can anyone advise me how to resample (scale down) a big bitmap image?
I browsed through iconv(1), crop(1), jpg(1) ... still having no idea.
Just wanna look at my pictures without going to linux 'convert' :-((

TIA,
++pac.