* [9fans] thrashed /
@ 2007-09-21  5:53 John Soros
From: John Soros @ 2007-09-21  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi!

I had a cpu/auth/fs server set up here not too long ago, but, playing around I somehow deleted a lot of important stuff, starting from /bin/*. I'd simply like to recover the damage using the last fossil snap, as I did fshalt and stopped the machine immediately. My guess is this is possible from the livecd, but I'm not really sure how it's done.
My setup is fossil+venti, so things shouldn't be that bad.
Thanks!

John

* Re: [9fans] thrashed /
@ 2007-09-21  8:11 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-09-21  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I wrote a doc about how to recover from various disc failures:

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/steve/doc/Venti-rescue.pdf

Alternatively you could just do:

	9fs dump
	cp -gux /n/dump/2007/0901/386/bin/* /368/bin

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] thrashed /
@ 2007-09-21 14:35   ` John Soros
From: John Soros @ 2007-09-21 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yes, that might be an approach, just use venti...but what I'd like to do is use the last fossil dump.
my machine is unbootable at the moment, since /bin and some other stuff have been wiped off the harddisk.
There actually has been no filesystem damage. This can only be the cause of my braindamage.

What i think i need to do is:
boot from livecd
get venti running somehow
get fossil running with venti somehow
revert fossil to the last dump
reboot

I am trying to find out how to do the venti and fossil steps...
Of course, if i'm wrong, please enlighten me, as i am still quite ignorant of the inner workings of the system, fossil and venti.

Thanks, though.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:11:03 +0100
"Steve Simon" <steve@quintile.net> wrote:

> I wrote a doc about how to recover from various disc failures:
>
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/steve/doc/Venti-rescue.pdf
>
> Alternatively you could just do:
>
> 	9fs dump
> 	cp -gux /n/dump/2007/0901/386/bin/* /368/bin
>
> -Steve

* Re: [9fans] thrashed /
@ 2007-09-21 18:21     ` Abhey Shah
From: Abhey Shah @ 2007-09-21 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

no promises or guarantees, read the relevant man pages before doing
this,
  there's probably a mistake in here somewhere

venti/venti -h tcp!*!8000  -c /dev/sdC0/arenas
dumpvacroots
take one of the old venti scores and do
  fossil/flfmt -h $host -v $score /dev/sdC0/fossil

reboot and pray