* Re: [9fans] Hardware detection problems
@ 2002-09-17  8:05 Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2002-09-17  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i said `perhaps they've changed the FA312 since i last bought it'.
i then noticed to my horror that it was over a year ago i did that
driver.  where did the time go?  i'll try buying a current one in case
it's different.  they do that.  alternatively, it might be that timing
or access details were somehow wrong from the start.

* Re: [9fans] Hardware detection problems
@ 2002-09-17 15:34 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2002-09-17 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Charles Forsyth wrote:
> driver.  where did the time go?  i'll try buying a current one in case
> it's different.  they do that.

Poor NetGear.  They never seem to recognize a good thing when they build it.

I'm a big fan of the (now defunct) FA310, which started with me buying a
couple on a whim, loving their performance (especially with netatalk),
then purchasing a few more only to find the chipset changed, and now
nearly unable to find a card still in production that uses the DEC chipset.

But, even the latter revisions of their DEC clone chipset card were OK,
but then they swapped the whole line out for the FA312, which pales in
comparison.

So now it looks like 3Com for me.  I've had nothing but grief with Intel
and multicast.

Are there cards you would prefer to shun with Plan 9?

-Jack

* [9fans] FA312 Ethernet card (was: Hardware detection problems)
@ 2002-09-20  0:42 ` Richard Powell
From: Richard Powell @ 2002-09-20  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Charles Forsyth wrote:
> i said `perhaps they've changed the FA312 since i last bought it'.
> i then noticed to my horror that it was over a year ago i did that
> driver.  where did the time go?  i'll try buying a current one in case
> it's different.  they do that.  alternatively, it might be that timing
> or access details were somehow wrong from the start.

Charles,

The suggestion to use the 'ea' option in my plan9.ini file work great.  Thanks for the help!

I found the recipt for my card, I bought it in Dec. 2000.  So, save your money, my card may be older
than yours!  If you do make any driver changes, I'll be happy to try it for you.  In the mean time,
if I can figure anything out I'll let you know.

Richard