I wrote this a long time ago; it's imperfect, and full of bugs, I'm sure. It crashes fairly often, too, but seems to work for simple things. Conceptually, it's like what Geoff posted, only implemented as a filesystem instead of just a simple file descriptor in /srv. The idea is that it could thus be run on a central CPU server and imported all over the place, effectively giving network write service for free. If someone wants to clean it up and mail it back to me, feel free; I never finished writing the ACL stuff (I'd probably do it differently now, anyway). Maybe in a few weeks I'll have some time to clean it up some more and we can stick it in the distribution or something. To run it, compile writefs.c and put the binary somewhere. Run it on a CPU server when it starts up. Copy writelstn and write somewhere, and modify them as needed (for instance, to import /mnt/writefs from the CPU server if needed). Run writelstn in a window somewhere to receive messages (I usually run it in a `win' under acme) and run `write user' to send messages to others. - Dan C.