From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAGwyn@null.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] erf etc
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:33:53 +0000	[thread overview]

Steve Simon wrote:
> erf, y[01n], j[01n], and gamma are all in the APE maths library on Plan9
> Those who know about standards may disagree but shouldn't their
> prototypes go in maths.h

Sure, just so long as they don't get declared by default in <math.h>.

You may not have been around for the big problem we had on Unix variants
with "name space pollution" in the system headers.  Cleaning that up was
one of the important goals of the C standard.  Now the rule is: standard
headers define & declare only what the standard says they do, with a
couple of classes of names reserved (e.g. is* in <ctype.h>), except that
implementations have a set of names starting with underscore that they
can add if they think they have some need to do so.  In other words, if
you add functions, use a new header.