From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAGwyn@null.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] sam hacking - a couple of fixes that may apply t
Date: Mon,  7 Jul 2003 08:33:08 +0000	[thread overview]

Derek Fawcus wrote:
> Speaking of B,  one other thing I noticed wrt to the unix (X11) version
> is that the pipe for B is exported by samterm not sam.  This means that
> if they are running on seperate machines,  B is not so convenient to
> use - i.e. it can't be used as say "B *.h' and do what you'd like.

Then somebody must have broken that version.  The one I maintain
(at one time widely used in BRL) has multiple vrsions of samterm,
most of which run as processes within the terminal (5620, 630).
There is no Unix in those terminals, yet the pipe feature works,
operating in the host environment (which is where the files live).
They also work with sam -r, which runs the host part on a remote
host.  (We used to edit files on the Cray mainframes this way.)