From: Adrian Tritschler <ajft@ajft.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Laptop and VM software
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:24:27 +1000	[thread overview]

vdharani@infernopark.com wrote:

> Hi,

>>Plan9's 3com driver doesn't work with the "3Com 10/100 Mini PCI
>>Ethernet Adapter" that was supplied with it.  It's not really a case of
>>"internal vs external" controller, both are internal mini-PCI cards,
>>one works, one doesn't.

>>If anyone can give me any hints on making it work, or how to debug a
>>network card driver, I'm all ears...

> This could be a dumb question. If it is Mini PCI card, why cant you replace
> it with an 82557 card? Is availability an issue?

*I* could, if it belonged to me, but the PC belongs to my employer and was
purchased for my work, which involves running Windows (in various flavours)
and supporting NetWare and Windows servers.  Any plan9 installation on it is
purely for my own enjoyment and education, it falls under the "reasonable
personal use" clause of the IT Acceptable Use Policy.

I've got three begged/borrowed bits of equipment that run plan9 in their spare
time, none of them belong to me.  Two desktop PCs, neither of which can run
rio properly due to Trio3d oddities, and a laptop with working video but no
network.  It's educational, there's a log of what I do sitting on the boxes at
http://ws-cl-28-g09-a.its.monash.edu.au/  I'm sure that a working 3com driver
on the T21 would help others as well.

There's also a Pentium133 at home that really does belong to me, and once
there's a new distribution CD that lets me build venti/fossil at install time
I'll give that one a try...

A thought I had as a final part of the install routine, some way of sending a
report back to the developers of "here's a working machine with xyz hardware,
pci.txt, etc.."

> Regards
> dharani

	Adrian