* [9fans] Inferno on XMOS
@ 2014-02-16 11:09 Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-02-16 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello 9fans,

Has anyone considered running Inferno on an XMOS system? Their StartKIT is
US$15 (plus US$30 P&P to Australia, which is a bugbear, otherwise I'd get
one), and an 8Mbyte SDRAM "slice" (their name for an expansion card) is
US$40. I seem to remember seeing Inferno live natively in as low as 2Mbyte
of RAM. Additionally, the StartKIT provides an RPi 26 pin header for
expansion cards developed for the RPi.

>From what I understand, FreeRTOS has been ported, and modules exist for
SPI, UART, I2C, etc. There is also in interboard link port next to the RPi
alike port on the StartKIT so one could conceivably have IEEE1588 ethernet
on one board (with ethernet slice), and Inferno running on the other board
with 8Mbyte of RAM. Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

I have a need for a controller (or two, linked together as the case may
have you) that talks ethernet, talks TTL serial, talks SPI, and talks I2C
over an RPi alike port. I'd like it to be a hard, real time system, and the
XMOS chips are quite deterministic in that regard.

Anyway, these are all just thoughts, as mentioned, I could be full of it,
I'm not making any guarantees.

Thanks all!

Shane.

* Re: [9fans] Inferno on XMOS
@ 2014-02-16 11:26 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2014-02-16 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Has anyone considered running Inferno on an XMOS system?

I have a startkit, but my thought was to port (some day!) Plan 9 to
it.  It sounds like I overlooked its small memory footprint, from your
message.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Inferno on XMOS
@ 2014-02-16 15:09   ` Peter Hull
From: Peter Hull @ 2014-02-16 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It would be interesting to see Plan 9 running on the 40-node Raspberry
Pi 'supercomputer'!
http://likemagicappears.com/projects/raspberry-pi-cluster/
Pete

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:26 AM,  <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:
>> Has anyone considered running Inferno on an XMOS system?
>
> I have a startkit, but my thought was to port (some day!) Plan 9 to
> it.  It sounds like I overlooked its small memory footprint, from your
> message.
>
> ++L

* Re: [9fans] Inferno on XMOS
@ 2014-02-16 16:37     ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2014-02-16 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Quoting Peter Hull <peterhull90@gmail.com>:

> It would be interesting to see Plan 9 running on the 40-node Raspberry
> Pi 'supercomputer'!
> http://likemagicappears.com/projects/raspberry-pi-cluster/
> Pete

I'd say that's a groundbreaking new field all its own.  Perhaps "LPC"
or "subparcomputing"

khm

* Re: [9fans] Inferno on XMOS
@ 2014-02-16 16:44       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-16 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Feb 16 11:38:35 EST 2014, khm@sciops.net wrote:
> Quoting Peter Hull <peterhull90@gmail.com>:
>
> > It would be interesting to see Plan 9 running on the 40-node Raspberry
> > Pi 'supercomputer'!
> > http://likemagicappears.com/projects/raspberry-pi-cluster/
> > Pete
>
> I'd say that's a groundbreaking new field all its own.  Perhaps "LPC"
> or "subparcomputing"

you jest, but ron built a similar thing with the gumstix and
the stagecoach module.  iirc, the purpose was to have a machine
small and cheep enough to experiment on, not to be a efficient
way to bring cycles to bear.

obviously the interconnect is going to be the issue.  which gives
me a very interesting idea on interconnects.  ....

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Inferno on XMOS
@ 2014-02-16 16:59         ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2014-02-16 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Quoting erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:

> obviously the interconnect is going to be the issue.  which gives
> me a very interesting idea on interconnects.  ....

The shitty interconnects are the exact reason I have never been interested
in the "pile of awful crap" school of supercomputer design.  The only one
I've considered wasting money on is the Parallela, but like most of these
half-assed products they can't be bothered to produce enough.

khm

* Re: [9fans] Inferno on XMOS
@ 2014-02-16 17:00         ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2014-02-16 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> On Feb 16, 2014, at 8:44 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>
> obviously the interconnect is going to be the issue.  which gives
> me a very interesting idea on interconnects.  ....

If you mean on the RPi, the choices are rather limited in bandwidth. We need a Beaglebone Black port.

* Re: [9fans] Inferno on XMOS
@ 2014-02-16 17:58     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-02-16 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs